This is going to be a very long and heavy post (I warned ya'll that I am in a reflective mood!) It is one that has been weighing on my heart for too long. It is a touchy subject, I know, and very controversial amongst even those I have personal friendships with. I sincerely do not say these words to offend or rebuke any particular person or family. I say them because I feel compelled to, and I cannot remain silent about this. I do not ask that anyone reading these words agree with me. There are just times in life when you have to stand up and be accounted for.
There is a trend coming up in evangelical Bible churches that up until recently has been reserved for churches of the liberal and pentecostal persuasion. This trend, being driven by the feminist movement and fueled by societal pressures, is for churches to no longer have a distinction between male and female roles within the church. Once reserved for men, women are now rising up into the roles of pastors and elders. The main justification for this change is that women's gifts are not being used to their full potential. That by not allowing women equal footing within the church, we are denying them access to full use of the spiritual gifts given to them at conversion. In addressing this issue, the church staff is siting particular texts and reinterpreting them to read that the role of women in the church was once a cultural thing and is no longer relevant. I have a friend who has been attending one of the churches in our community that is now moving towards this trend, and after 9 years there, she and her husband made the decision to leave. She said she spoke with the senior pastor and asked him where he personally stood on women's roles in the church and also within the context of the home and he sited their 26 page document "explaining" their choice instead of giving her his personal viewpoints. Billy and I sat up one night and read this online and were shocked by the number of times Scripture was being reinterpreted and realigned to fit their points. Books written by secular authors were sited as justification for this shift. The church that Billy and I grew up in our faith did a 3 part series over this past summer on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood that explains how the Bible stands on this heated debate.
To me this is part of a bigger problem, the secularizing of church. We have been attending a refreshingly traditional church since May. Our pastor did a series on Rebirthing the Church and he spoke about how off the mark churches have become. How it is much more about attracting people to come to your church through programs and side shows, instead of Bible study. Exposition has been replaced by Entertainment. Hymns have been replaced by praise songs that build upon an emotional high as the same lines are repeated over and over. He said that being in a church where the Bible is inherent, without changing it to fit the times, is what you need when the bottom falls out of your life. Colored lights and funny movie clips will not help you when your spouse dies. They will not help you when you receive a terminal diagnosis. Amusing and exaggerated stories will not comfort you when you experience a miscarriage. You need substance to handle the blows of life.
We know this to be true in our own life. When the rug is pulled out from under you and you go to church and the pastor is making jokes about his recent vacation with lines like, "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." This does not help you pick up the pieces of your broken heart. Billy and I have visited several churches over the past years and sadly we came across this more and more. Often times it has the opposite affect, instead of leaving entertained and refreshed-we have found ourselves bored and further from God then when we entered. And even more sad, very very alone. It is lonely to be one of the few of your friends that still holds to "traditional and old-fashioned" Christianity. But we know when we go to the church where we are and when we listen to our old pastor online, that we are not alone. When we read John Calvin, C.S. Lewis, Martin Luther, and John Piper-we know we are not alone. We also know that we are no better than any other follower of Christ, no more advanced in our thinking, or in any way holier- the Lord knows that! Just personally convicted about this, that's all.
My heart is heavy for those I know that have succumbed to the modern ways of thinking. I believe it to be a cancer that is slowly invading our churches. We attended a church for awhile that has young 20-30 year-olds as elders...ELDERS! I don't know about you but I cannot trust that a 27 year old has withstood the test of time that it takes to prove yourself capable of that type of service to the church, capable of that amount of wisdom and guidance. How is a 25 year old single guy going to counsel a 64 year old man who has lost his house in a fire? It is this kind of decision making that will have long lasting effects upon the people there. I asked the husband of my friend who is leaving their church why they think more are not following and he said because the complacency has happened so slowly over time that many have not noticed. We agreed that the average family in combination with the social network and ministry opportunities that they are involved with, means they will quietly overlook this and ignore that twinge in their guts that maybe something isn't right doctrinally. That twinge of the holy spirit saying STOP, THINK! Don't just go along with it because everyone else is. Don't allow the world to convince you this is right. IF the Bible has to be reinterpreted to make your new concepts workable something is wrong with that picture!!
And I have to say that if ever in your life you were blessed to attend a solid church where Biblical Exposition was the agenda every Sunday, then you really ought to know better. You once ate of gourmet and are now eating fast food-quick, easy, convenient. And it will eventually make you sick. I do not propose that you do what it is often typical of our generation and "date the church"- meaning trying every other church on to see what will be a permanent fit. But I do say that now is the time to go, if you need to go. Don't use having children as an excuse to not finding another church, or leading a ministry team for why you have to stay. There are ministries to be led elsewhere. Go because your conscience is telling you that you must. This is the perfect time of year for new beginnings.
Friday, January 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 friends commented!:
Wow Lauri!
I grew up as a pastor's daughter and then a missionary kid so I've been around. And we did have one woman that came and spoke at our church growing up so I never really thought much of it but I do strongly believe that the man is to be the head. But we never had women elders. I don't think I could ever go to a church with a woman pastor.
It's really the same reason I honestly don't think we should have a female president. I don't think the woman is strong enough to handle that responsibility. And that's not the type of role that God intended for women to have. But that's just my opinion on that.
I thank you for this post. Dave and I have been semi-regularly attending a new church and we need to decide if it will be our new home church. After reading your post I'm going to take a much deeper look at the church and their practices before deciding.
At the church I was attending when we got married just as we left the church they had a couple in their early 30's married for maybe 3 years start doing the marriage counseling. Thankfully they didn't do ours. About 3 years later they were divorced. I'm not real sure what they were thinking putting them in that extremely important role. I admit that I was in the church because it was comfortable and I had been there so long, it really had gotten worse over the years, turning more towards looking at what the pastor could do instead of what God could do. After Dave began attending with me he started to point out how unscriptural it was and we quickly found a new church.
The fast-food churches, we did go to the big one in town while we were looking for a church just to go somewhere when we didn't know where else to go. A family member attends there so it was easy. But it always gave me the feeling that it was scripted to the second of what was to happen. No room for God almost.
Anyhow, sorry to ramble. Just really got me thinking. Thanks!
"Colored lights and funny movie clips will not help you when your spouse dies. They will not help you when you receive a terminal diagnosis. Amusing and exaggerated stories will not comfort you when you experience a miscarriage."
Preach it, sister!
Oh, wait...uh...
Great post, Laurie! Thanks for sharing your thoughtful critique.
Debbie-
Thanks for weighing in on the matter! I also have reservations about a woman as president, but not because I believe God would look unfavorably upon that or because I think she isn't cut out for the job. I think there is a huge difference between women leading men in the workplace or in politics and them leading in the home and church. There are even examples of women leaders in the Old Testament...and I would vote a woman as Mayor any day! But it is when we begin to redefine our roles within The Body of Christ that things get really tricky.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I was screaming AMEN!
Seriously, it was encouraging to read and I pray that both men and women will start or continue to delight in the beautiful roles that God has given.
:) I was smiling, but not quite sure how others would react!!! When we were visiting churches, I can't tell you how hard it was to find one that wasn't a mile wide and an inch deep. It takes time and can be cumbersome with little ones to find a church home, but their spiritual growth (and ours) is worth every minute of doing research and asking questions about church leadership, theology and doctrine. I'm concerned about the direction of the evangelical Christian church and I am happy to have found such a solid church in my community. It makes it all the more sweet after our long search!
I love this. I am actually ordained, but not as a preacher. I was ordained by my very conservative church when I earned my MDiv as a "vocational" minister. This means, I want to earn my living through ministry. But not preaching or being an elder!
I think there is a place for women in church leadership: leading and teaching other women, children and even teaching men who choose to sit in that particular class. Leading worship, reading Scripture, participating in ways like that - I think that's all appropriate for women. But you are right - the modern church is reinterpreting Scripture for their own benefit.
Great post!!
Post a Comment