Day 5 of my LOVE posts brings me to this:
I love the Cash Envelope System.
I love the Cash Envelope System.

Oh I have not always loved it. I have had times of resenting the crap out of my raggedy paper envelopes which never seem to have as much cash as I want them to have! But on this day I can say I LOVE our cash envelopes system. With the start of a new year come the two most popular resolutions: to diet and exercise more AND to get your finances in order. We have been doing the envelope system for almost 4 full years now in our household, and it has been incredibly liberating for us. We plan to always live like this...yes it is tight with little flexibility...but sticking to our money diet has brought so much freedom to our finances and most importantly no more worries about how we will pay for this or handle that. This year alone our financial plans include 2 vacations, possibly paying off ALL of our remaining credit card debt, and Billy purchasing a new (used) car. And of course we will continue to pay cash only for birthdays and Christmas.
I have zero anxiety about taking any of this on.
This could have never happened all those years ago when we sold our house and moved into a tight 2 bedroom apartment as a family of four.
But today we stand redeemed by a God who honors good stewardship.
We are living proof of that fact.
I thought on this topic I ought to link to the blog post I wrote on exactly how we budget and spend our money, Budgeting For A Family Of Six.
Check it out.
I hope you find inspiration in our story to take steps towards your own financial freedom.
And because I am an Etsy addict (I browse WAY more than I buy...hence the above mentioned tight budget) AND because ya'll know how much I love gifts: I couldn't resist offering this super fun giveaway for one of you, dear readers!!

Reusable colorful money envelopes made from durable vinyl, tear resistant material, with blank white labels to fill your own categories in, and in so many adorable patterns!!
Check them out here at the Etsy shop:
SassyMoneyEnvelopes & Such
Sweet Marcia is offering one of my lucky readers a set of your choice of six colorful envelopes, that she makes and sells for $30 a set. Isn't that fantastic?
The envelopes also come with metal rings to connect them to one another in an easy portable pack.
I love, love, love this.
Thank you, Marcia!!!
Please browse her site and consider purchasing a set of your own. I can attest to the fact that paper envelopes get worn, they tear, and are just plain boring! Imagine how much more motivated you will be to stick to your system if you get to look at these beauties?
I wanted to add that Marcia began her Etsy shop in August to raise money to pay for a Mission Trip she will be attending with her church this summer. What a great idea...create a product that will encourage people to act responsibly with their money AND use the revenue to go help share the gospel with others. A win-win endeavor if you ask me!
To enter to win the giveaway, please become a follower of
Adoption Creates Families.
Leave a comment with your favorite budget tip
(you can leave your first name only).
If you share this blog post on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest,
you can come back here and tell me you did to enter twice!
On Friday, one of my children will randomly choose and announce a winner.
Then the winner will have 24 hours to contact me via email with your name, address, and the fabric pattern you would like to receive.
Best of luck and happy budgeting!!
I have zero anxiety about taking any of this on.
This could have never happened all those years ago when we sold our house and moved into a tight 2 bedroom apartment as a family of four.
But today we stand redeemed by a God who honors good stewardship.
We are living proof of that fact.
I thought on this topic I ought to link to the blog post I wrote on exactly how we budget and spend our money, Budgeting For A Family Of Six.
Check it out.
I hope you find inspiration in our story to take steps towards your own financial freedom.
And because I am an Etsy addict (I browse WAY more than I buy...hence the above mentioned tight budget) AND because ya'll know how much I love gifts: I couldn't resist offering this super fun giveaway for one of you, dear readers!!

Reusable colorful money envelopes made from durable vinyl, tear resistant material, with blank white labels to fill your own categories in, and in so many adorable patterns!!
Check them out here at the Etsy shop:
SassyMoneyEnvelopes & Such
Sweet Marcia is offering one of my lucky readers a set of your choice of six colorful envelopes, that she makes and sells for $30 a set. Isn't that fantastic?
The envelopes also come with metal rings to connect them to one another in an easy portable pack.
I love, love, love this.
Thank you, Marcia!!!Please browse her site and consider purchasing a set of your own. I can attest to the fact that paper envelopes get worn, they tear, and are just plain boring! Imagine how much more motivated you will be to stick to your system if you get to look at these beauties?
I wanted to add that Marcia began her Etsy shop in August to raise money to pay for a Mission Trip she will be attending with her church this summer. What a great idea...create a product that will encourage people to act responsibly with their money AND use the revenue to go help share the gospel with others. A win-win endeavor if you ask me!To enter to win the giveaway, please become a follower of
Adoption Creates Families.
Leave a comment with your favorite budget tip
(you can leave your first name only).
If you share this blog post on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest,
you can come back here and tell me you did to enter twice!
On Friday, one of my children will randomly choose and announce a winner.
Then the winner will have 24 hours to contact me via email with your name, address, and the fabric pattern you would like to receive.
Best of luck and happy budgeting!!
44 friends commented!:
Love this!!!!! Using Coupons and Ad-Matching has saved us soo much money! I set down every Wednesday and find the best deals on groceries! I will share on FB!
What a fantastic giveaway. I love that they are tear resistant. A must with kids who have faster reflexes then I do.
Budget tip; don't give up after your first month of budgeting fails. It's supposed to fail. Readjust to reality and keep at it.
You have seriously read my mind! No kidding. We started the money envelopes four years ago as well. WE have had ups and downs due to the kids' health issues. I have been really bothered this week to write a blog post about our story/ journey to this. We had our first meeting of the New Year two nights ago and I headed to the bank yesterday and put the money into the envelopes. It is SO tight. I hope I win those envelopes!!! THey are so sassy!
I put it on Facebook! Here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Small-Town-Joy/264242850256904
Oh this is fun! Thanks for doing this Laurie!
Budgeting tip: Every time you eat out, save your unused condiments or grab a couple of extra condiments. Put them in your fridge/pantry, and when you run out of (example) ketchup, then you have some extra little packages to hold you over.
I've collected napkins, straws, bbq sauce, relish, ketchup, mustard, splenda, sugar, salt, and lots more over the last year.
Since our grocery store is 30 minutes away, it helps to have something on hand when in need.
Try it! Soon, you will have a stockpile of extras!
I shared on facebook!
These are so cute! We have been doing to envelope system off and on since we got married, but really bucked down and doing serious since we have had kiddos :). I cut the grocery budget in half by using only cash budgeted!
Love them! I might be more inclined to do it if I had PRETTY envelopes! :-)
I'm just starting out on the "getting my finances in shape" road, but one thing that has helped me has been to use cash and put the CHANGE directly into my savings account. You'd be surprised how quickly change builds up!
I shared on Facebook as well... Great giveaway! Thank you! :-)
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1093894082#!/pages/I-Must-Be-Trippin/212513242152420
I shared on facebook.
Also, with another blog I read.
I love these, they would work wonderfully for us, as we have just recently started talking about using the envelop system.
I use coupons tons, and buy the kids cloths off season.
Budget tip: Cash is the ONLY way to make sure you don't go over in a budget...along w self control :)
Great give away!!
I just got back from a trip to the store and used a bunch of coupons!
I have been wanting to try this system.
Joy
I posted on pinterest as well. My fave tip, kind of funny, but stay home more. Not only do you save money on gas, but you are less tempted to spend money on anything.
I LOVE these!! We used cash envelopes for the first several years of our married lives, but have definitely gotten out of the habit!
I follow you too :)
Oooh love those cute envelopes! Mine are completely worn out, falling apart and of course so boring to look at. :)
Budget tip: Don't buy things you don't need! :) And I shop semi-annually at a consignment sale for clothes for my kids. Also love hand me downs, my 3rd is wearing the same clothes his 2 big brothers wore. :)
I have been wanting a more "visual" budgeting system...The debit card makes money disappear so much faster. My husband also doesn't "get" a budget (and he is only working part-part-part time). ARgh. I think this system might help us (and him!)
I shared on facebook. Even though I didn't want to because it will lessen my odds at winning. But I think I'll budget in buying a set if I don't win. Because like you said, they're pretty and they'll motivate me.
Great giveaway! I do a similar version of the envelope system but have been meaning to switch over to this for a long time. My tip to is budget for eating out. You may say you won't all week but the week will get to you and you will break down!
I shared on Facebook, too!
Cute cute! Love these little envelopes! My budgeting tip is to resist buying something you want even if you have the money to buy it. If you still remember it, still want it, and it is still available 2 weeks later, consider purchasing it then. This really helps avoid buyers remorse!
My husband and I are in the process of adopting and I am try to focus on a healthier finacial diet for our family. Thank you for the ideas and advice. These envelopes would be great to get started. I posted your blot on my FB page and I was sent by Our small town blot.
Mie here :)
These are so great! We have been a frugal family for a while but I'd love to start the envelopes too - it might help my hubby who wants to lead more but sometimes gets a bit frazzled by it all.
Budget tip: Recently I switched to grocery shopping every OTHER week instead of weekly. This has not only made it easier for mie to do shopping with my 4 kiddos but also has led to less chances for extra things to be added to the cart.
I wrote about it here: http://mhmuscles.blogspot.com/2012/01/moolah-monday-groceries.html
I LOVE THESE! We are just starting the envelope process. These would be great! If I don't win I will definitely buy a set. (of course I will budget them in!)
Budget tip: just because you have the money for something that doesnt mean you should spend the money on it...Just because you have to say, "No, I can't afford that right now" it's not the same as saying you don't have money and You're flat broke. Get used to waiting on that something special and stop impulse buying. Also, hide the debit card!!!! (it can totally contribute to impulse purchases)
Awesome!!!! I hope that I win this time. Come on, Jasmine--be my "lucky" charm! :)
Shared on FB. COME ON JASMINE BE MY GOOD "LUCK" CHARM! LOL!
I shared on Facebook! I love your blog.
My budget tip: Teach your children not to put every piece of clothing into the dirty clothes hamper. Teach them to use a towel after showering and immediately rehanging to dry and use a few times. "Assign" a cup to each family member so they use the same cup all day.
I am super excited I found your blog!!!
I love this giveaway, and the patterns are super cute.
Budget Tip: Just the usual, coupons, price matching, garage sales (or resale shops), and re-purposing items are just a few.
Thanks & God Bless,
Shawna
I also posted this link on my facebook page. :o)
Thanks Bunches,
Shawna
Well especially since we just got our 4yo daughter about 4 months ago, I have been shopping for her clothes at second hand stores and department stores for next years season when they go on sale. Also we are using the coupons AND watching for where the items are on sale as well, so double the discount!
Oh my those are beyond cute and would def come in handy!
Best tip : You have to hold your own self accountable. If you run out of " fun money" and reach to the " mortgage payment money" no one can stop you...you have to hold your own self accountable to not cheating and staying within the budget you have set
I lOVE these!!!! My number one budgeting tip is to menu plan. Saves a ton of money for my family of four!
I am so excited about this, we are so trying to be good with our budget this year! To help I have started taking my own coffee in the morning to save buying two cups a day AND I found out about the Misto at Starbucks that is half coffee and half milk and HALF THE PRICE of a latte. Right away I'm saving over $5 a day. Plus coupons, I always try to find a coupon. I do follow your blog and I will post on my blog and/or facebook :) I love these envelopes, so excited!!!!
Oh my gosh this is awesome! I need to send my vibes to your children. Brian and I are about to start this very system as we get ready to move to one income so I NEED these=)
Budget tip: Not sure I have one, as we have been fortunate with our finances and family that have given us a good start. This will be a whole new world for me. Bye-bye Sonic runs=(
Posted on my FB page!
Love the envelopes and I would love to incorporate that into my family's finances.
Budget Tip: We plan meals before we grocery shop. We coupon especially for baby items. I often right the companies and ask for more coupons!
I posted on my facebook!
Our tip: When we pay with cash, we put all of the change into a jar in our house. We are less likely to buy things with just coins and before we know it, our coin jar is full! :)
How cute are those envelopes?? My tip is to not use credit cards. Except fir one slip up we have been cc free for almost 2 years. No vacations, but no looming debt either!
Can't believe I almost forgot to enter!! My favorite tip....this is a process and Rome wasn't built in a day, neither will your budget. Don't give up when you fail, just get back on the horse and make that mistake no more!
this is amazing, and also so impossible for me..I am addicted to my credit card...
I have no budgeting tips! Aaahhhh!! I do try to coupon, ad match, etc but find there is so much processed packaged garbage out there I'd rather spend the money on healthier options. We cut our cable last year and that has put $50/mo back in our pockets (or to pay more for gas now that we have a minivan).
I am trying to find these envelopes to purchase... However, the link that you have on the blog no longer goes to the envelopes and I can't find them when I do a search!!! PLEASE help me find these envelopes! I would like to order several sets of them!!
Hi Dawn,Thank you for reading. I will be writing a new budget post for the new year in the coming days. I will have links to the envelopes off Etsy in that post so stay tuned!!
Post a Comment