
Am I the only one out there that plans my kids birthday parties way in advance? Isaac's isn't until October and I've got the whole thing pretty much planned and the place booked (which was a good thing because it was filling up fast). Then I was at a park with the kids yesterday near our apartment and I thought, "this would be a great place for Vivi's 2nd birthday! Should I call the city's parks and recreations department to reserve it today?" The girl's birthday isn't until March! Sheesh.
My birthday is in August (I am turning 30, YIKES!) and Billy's is in September...am I thinking about ours- NOPE. But that is because children's parties are so fun! Billy and I don't want pinatas and cupcakes. A pile of beautifully wrapped gifts for me doesn't make me giddy-but something about those Fisher Price Little People and Little Tikes toys send me over the edge with happiness. And don't get me started on seeing sweet little outfits with new tags dangling from them.
I justify my party obsession with the fact that I waited and wanted kids so bad, and the fact that I really enjoy other kid's parties too. I've gotten in the habit of getting oh-too-involved in the planning of my friends parties for their little ones. And heaven forbid I hear the dreaded words "we are just going to do a little small thing this year. Maybe just family." I gasp! No party? No pretty plastic ware and balloons? No invitations? No theme? Are you kidding me?
I understand the money factor, parties are expensive. But I asked Billy if I scrimp and save all year long, can I still have a nice party for the kids? And he agreed. He knows I am a woman obsessed. I don't need to hire an entertainer or spend $40 bucks on a cake, but you can really do alot with some planning and shopping around.
My only consolation is in knowing I'm not the only one. My sister is a party animal too. She rarely turns down an invitation to go to a child's birthday party, and she also has her daughter's 4th birthday booked and planned out-and that is not until December! It must be our shared DNA. But I can tell you we didn't get it from my Mom. She is not really into the entertaining thing, but she can appreciate a good party herself. One of my favorite pictures is of me at my 6 year birthday in a care bears bathing suit (August remember) blowing out candles on a cute cake with several friends around the table.
I just LOVE birthday parties.
2 friends commented!:
Well, I could have told you all of that...you are the Birthday Master!
Man, I feel bad now that I haven't planned Mazzie's yet and it's less than two months away...ha ha ha!
I always look forward to ANY party you throw. You raise the bar...a thrifty martha Steward you are!
I'm sure I'll be no where close to you but I am already thinking about Izzy's 1st birthday (April). I've told myself not to start planning until finalization in October.
Post a Comment