Now I have to be responsible if I am going to post about these dogs. I do not support back yard breeding and I think $600 for a dog is highway robbery. These puppies are adorable and we were thrilled to have 10 minutes with them, but puppies are NOT easy to take care of. They chew up stuff, they need lots of exercise, and they grow up FAST. Not to mention how expensive they are to care for properly! Everyone wants babies, but babies grow up and then you have an entire life time (up to 15 years for most labs) to take care of this dog. And if you bring a dog into your home, you are responsible to that dog for a lifetime...even if you move into an apartment!
My friend Brooke fosters for a lab rescue organization and she sees often the outcome of irresponsible dog ownership. So if you want to add a furry family member to your mix, please go with a rescue dog! Just google your area and the breeds you are interested in and there you go! You can also go to Petfinder.com. That is how we brought Oscar home! Please do not go to a pet store or look for ads in the paper (unless the pet is free). This just encourages these breeders to keep breeding if they can make good money doing it.
And please spay and neuter your pet! All it takes is a trip to your local animal shelter to see there are more animals in this world than people to take care of them. Okay...I'll stop my Bob Barker impersonation now!
2 friends commented!:
Well said! We love dogs. Okay Dave loves any animal and wants a farm. But I will not let us get a dog until we have a house. Apartment living for dogs just won't do. I can't imagine having to walk the dog at 9pm when the baby is sleeping and Dave is at work. But when we do I promise to try and find a shelter dog. :-)
Cute puppies. Vivi looks adorable with them.
yeah, Debbie! The problem with apartments and kids is you can't walk the dogs every day. Ours have gotten a bit chubby since they lost their backyard. But there are plenty of dog parks in the area we plan on visiting when the weather cools, and we cut back on their food intake for calorie purposes!
I think a dog under 20 pounds is fine for an apartment, but our poor Lucy gets a bit depressed sometimes. Hopefully we will be back in a house in no time.
Post a Comment