****UPDATE****
The birthmother went on a news broadcast. Check out their blog below to view it. Unbelievable. This really is huge for the adoption community. Bigtime.
My heart has been heavy over the past several days as I have been reading this blog about an adoptive couple in Utah who's 6 month old son was taken away to go into foster care in the Native American Tribe that his birthmother is from. His birth parents have been deemed unfit by the state they live in because of drug use, but the tribe insisted on getting this baby back after the birthmother sought to have him returned. The court ruled in favor of the tribe and on Sunday, they came to take the baby- based solely on the decision of race! Here is their appearance yesterday on Good Morning America.
I cannot imagine...but then maybe I can. My heart just broke when they showed the footage of the mom burrowing into the baby before she handed him over. I will never forget the day that our caseworker called and two hours later was at our house to take our Olivia, who had just turned 5 months old. I just clung to that child and sniffed her baby smell hoping I would never forget her. And I wondered how I would go on with all her clothes hanging in the closet and her brown skinned dolls in the crib. And how would we tell Isaac that the baby we thought would be his sister would not. It was just so unfair. They placed her with a single adoptive mother who was of the same race. We had so much support, people wrote letters to CPS on our behalf and gave generously to help with our legal fees if we chose to go to court and fight. But there would be no going to court for us. The baby legally belonged to the state and we never saw her again.
This family is asking that everyone spread the word about Talon, as they continue their fight to have the right to be his parents. And even though I would not choose to post as much as they do about the birthfamily, I understand they are angry and hurt. Grief can make you irrational. And no, it does not take sharing the same DNA or tribal blood, to make this child their son.
0 friends commented!:
Post a Comment