
And so begins my first installment of my potty training series. As most of you know, our little daughter will be turning two in just one month from tomorrow. Big milestone as this means that for atleast another year or so, my baby days are over. :(
I am not happy about this as excited as I am for her and her development.
But regardless of my missing my baby, the fact remains that kids grow up. And part of growing up is getting out of diapers! I personally don't mind changing her diapers. Not a big deal to me, but since she was 18 months old- she has been showing signs of potty training readiness. Our ped. wanted us to start her back then, but I am a firm believer in 2 being the youngest appropriate age, for a more timely success, unless of course your child just "potty trains themselves" as some Moms claim. Then more power to you and your diaper free baby!
My anxiety is heightened about the fact that I have never trained a child this young or a girl before! Both the boys I trained were two and a half. They trained in 3 days. So, I anticipate my little darling taking longer simply because of her age. But we are going to give it our best effort!
Step One- Educate yourself!
I checked out the above book from the library and finished last week. Today I will be getting a different one. I like to speed read through them to glean people's varying ideas of what works and what doesn't. The consistent theme in these books is one that I hold to- once you determine to take them out of the diapers and have done so, don't go back! This can set you back months. I have seen it from other children I know, it's true.
The biggest mistake I see parents making is getting all ready to do "potty training boot camp" as in, getting them trained in a day, and by noon the Mom has pooped out and put her little darling back in diapers, stating the child is just not ready because she peed in her panties 14 times. Well, I think the more accurate account is that Mom is not ready. Those first 24 hours are exhausting!! And there are WAY more failures than successes, but most potty training experts will tell you that if you stick to the plan by the end of day 2 something usually just "clicks" with the child and they begin to get it. I have seen this! It happened for Isaac on evening two at The Olive Garden!! Now that was exciting!
Step Two- Look for Readiness Signs
You can read this signs in books, or google them- so I won't bore you with the extensive list here, but I will share Vivi's personal readiness signs:
**Tells us when she needs a diaper change by grabbing at it and saying "poo poo" or bringing me a diaper when she is wet, as she did this morning. They do not have to do this every time. Just most of the time.
**Can pull her pants down
**Says potty and goes to it, wanting to sit
**Wakes up from naps dry (again not all the time)
**Can go 2 hours without peeing in her diaper
**has a regular schedule of pooping
**wants to imitate family members
**Is atleast 18 months old
So with these readiness signs, it appears as though she could potty train, and therefor we will begin it the week after her birthday.
Step Three- Begin To Purchase Your Supplies
We have our potty chair set out in the bathroom, and she sits on it when she wants. Ikea has some really cute little ones that are less than $5 a piece, so if you live in a big house, you can get one for every bathroom. I bought a dora potty training chart and stickers at Target but will also be downloading free ones from the internet. I will also be getting a toddler toilet seat that goes on the big potty and a step stool. I have been purchasing underwear in her favorite characters, over the past few months to make sure we are well stocked, and of course- carpet cleaner. We have a baby doll that "pees", so we will be using that one when we are ready to train. Wet wipes that are flushable are a must, and pull-ups for night time.
As I am reading books from the library, I have also checked out some items for her.

These DVD's we will be getting from Netflix in the coming weeks.

I bought her this book.
And we checked this one and others out from the library. The library has a lot of great resources on potty training, and they are free! So take advantage of it!*******************************************************
I will go into detail further on the remaining steps as our time nears. The reason I don't just strip her of her diapers and GO right now, is because timing is key. You have to make sure your schedule is free that for atleast 2 days so your child does not have to leave the house. I am waiting until Spring Break for the perfect timing. Also, it helps to not go it alone if possible. A Sat and Sun where mom and dad can tag-team the wiping, cleaning, and washing of all the mess and the constant trips to the potty, means you set yourself up for success. Support is neccesary so that you will not doubt yourself and your methods. When my friend was potty trianing her daughter last summer, I talked to her or emailed her almost every day to encourage her to keep going. She did, and within days her little one was on her way to full-time success!
A cheerleader and another helping hand makes the whole process a lot less stressful!
**************************************************
So, if you are currently ready to get your little one going and you think they are ready to take on the task, follow along with me over the next few weeks as we get ready to board the potty train!!
1 friends commented!:
You can also try trip training. This is done by basically taking your daughter to the toilet about every 30 minutes and sitting her on the pot. You can give her a book when you take her. When you take her to the potty keep a chart if you can (by making a simple chart on Word with the times in 30 segments).
This will assist you with determining a schedule for her when she does finally use it. Most little ones are on a schedule with using the bathroom too. It is just that the adults find out too later, after they have already used it.
This method works with training special needs little ones. So, if special needs little ones can be trained to use the potty, it can surely be successful with a typical developing child.
It takes time and persistance on the parents end, but if you are a stay at home mom or on vacation for a week or two where you can devote to working with your child you will pick up patterns and times that your child uses the bathroom! It works, and sometimes quicker than what you think!
Best wishes!
Post a Comment