Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Free Groceries...UPDATED

***UPDATED***
Sorry I didn't post how I got these for free! Oops! Okay here we go item by item. First of all I clip coupons in the Sunday paper and many times will have multiples of the same product. I only use these coupons if the item is already on sale or a necessity. The 3 major grocery stores in our area double coupons up to 50 cents and triple up to 35 cents. So this savings can really add up. In this picture, I purchased the cereal, water, hotdogs, ground turkey, cheese, spinach, and mustard at buy one get one free deals at the store. In conjunction, you can use coupons for BOTH items. For example if you have two coupons for mustard and the store sale is buy one get one free, I have had cashiers allow me to submit both coupons because "technically" I am buying two. I know this may sound sneaky but it is all in picking the right cashier. Older women will ALWAYS scrutinize your coupons. Teenage boys never will. SO choose your cashier wisely when couponing unless you want to be in line for a long time explaining all your purchases...not fun. Kroger sent me coupons for free cake mix, hot chocolate, and waffles (so that accounts for those). Then I used store coupons in conjunction with manufacturer coupons to get the suave children's shampoo for free. The hot fudge, whipped cream, and cherries were free if you bought a carton of icecream. So there you go! My real trick is combining store coupons/deals with manufacturer coupons that get doubled and tripled. This has allowed me to triple a coupon for a sale item and get that item for free with the store owing me 5 cents! Ha!! Just make sure you clip coupons every sunday so they will pile up and do not use them at walmart and target unless they are for a $1.00 or more and the item is already on sale. IT isn't worth it otherwise because they do not double and triple. Make sense? Also, I shop with a calculator and only pay cash that way you are forced to be choosy on your choices and won't get sucked into impulse buys. I pay $125 once a week for our family of four- no more. It is amazing when I am careful how much I can bring home! So I hope that helps ya'll become super shoppers too. Thanks for asking, Rebecca!
I had a little extra time Friday morning as Billy was home with the kids. So I did my once a week grocery shopping but went to two stores across the street from each other since they both had different specials going on in their weekly ads. Taking advantage of the store sales and using coupons I had, this is a picture of all the FREE products I brought home (minus a cucumber that was already put away). You read that right, everything in this picture was free! Between the two stores, my receipt reflected that I had saved over $80 on groceries. Billy said "Wow, I can't believe you were able to buy all this for that amount of money! We don't have room for it all." I just smiled. Yeah for bargain shopping!
Billy emailed this picture to our financial advisor.
He replied back that he and his wife were very proud!
P.S. I made that reduced sugar cake mix into chocolate cupcakes with reduced sugar frosting for a potluck last night, and they were all eaten in about 10 minutes! Noone knew they were "diet". Go Pillsbury!

6 friends commented!:

Anonymous said...

I love free food!
I don't care if I don't have a place to store it..it's FREE!!

FYI Yogurt freezes :)

Gloria said...

Impressive!!

Rebecca said...

I must know your secrets!!! How did you get these FREE? Seriously! Please do a blog post explaining this to me!!!

Rebecca said...

Thanks so much for explaining! I often shop at Walmart because in theory it is cheaper, but I really hate shopping at the one in my city...dirty, crowded, and not a great selection. So, I am super excited to learn that with coupons you can get a better deal at one of the grocery stores!!! I will have to try it out!

Deb said...

Amazing! How did you get coupons from Kroger. I really need to be more disciplined with this.

HappyAutisticMama said...

This is probably a dumb questions, but are the coupons doubled/tripled automatically, or do you have to ask? I used a bunch of coupons this week at Kroger and I can't tell if they were doubled or not. Are only certain coupons doubled, or does it only happen on certain days? How does it show up on the receipt? I hate coupons because they are so confusing and the cashiers are always such a jerk about it, but this week I did save over $45 so, every once in awhile, I just bring a bunch in and grit my teeth.