Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Moving and A Broken Thumb


Tonight is our last night in our apartment!! Woo hoo! We found a four bedroom rental house closer to church. Longer commute for Billy to work, but it will be worth it. We are almost completely packed. I am finishing up laundry today with bathroom rugs and shower curtains. We still do not have a fridge, though so that could be tricky! The kids will be staying with my parents tomorrow through Sat. so atleast they will have access to fresh food!
And on to the other part of my blog post title. Isaac broke his thumb yesterday! I let him out of the van at noon to go to school and I heard him yell "wait for me!" and he took off running. Two seconds later he was on the cement screaming crying. He tore up some of the skin so I thought he was upset about the blood and I sent him on in, asking the teacher if she would run him by the school nurse for a bandaid. Well just as I am pulling into home, they call my cell to tell me that his thumb has swelled and I can hear he is still crying. Great. So I told her I wanted to get him into a Dr. right away and would pick him up (he has a very high tolerance to pain, so I knew something wasn't right). I took him straight to our Dr. who sent me for x-rays. At about 4:30, I got the call that he had a fracture in his thumb. So I had to wait for Billy to get home, we fed the kids, and headed to the emergency room for a splint. At 10:30 p.m., we were finally treated and released from the ER. It was the longest day of my life! I do not have any pictures as my camera was home, but I have loaded it into my bag so that if the Ortho says he needs a cast, I will be ready!
I am pretty upset about this. A break this early in life could mean he will be susceptible to breaking that part again throughout his childhood, plus he now cannot play flag football this fall and the company made a big deal about no refunds (it was NOT cheap). SO I am having a really hard time today; the stress of moving, having to get my child a cast, losing so much money and the fun of watching him play....not a good day for me. Wed. are my longest days as we have school, choir, Awana, and Bible Study...not getting home until 8:30 at night with two exhausted kids and a drained Mommy. I think we will just have to skip our commitments tonight and I will use my morning OJ to wash down two Exedrins. Pray I make it to naptime.

5 friends commented!:

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

I hope your lil guy recovers fast and try to make time for that much need nap girl!!

Denver Jen said...

Wow! Tha's a lot happening especially in one day! I hope your move goes smoothly and congrats on finding a new place that you like.

Gloria said...

Oh no... :(
I want to give Isaac a big hug for being so brave. And you need a big hug, too.
And a high five for packing the entire apartment so quickly.

Deb said...

I didn't realize that he would be more susceptible to breaking it again. Is it his dominant hand?
Long shot but I wonder if you could find a parent that didn't get their child in the program and wants to, if they could take his place and at least pay you a portion of the cost.

I know this is the second time he's missed out and you have already paid for something. Awful on both accounts.

Hope the move goes well today. Miss seeing you and the kids. If my weekends weren't so busy we'd love to come see you.

HappyAutisticMama said...

Ugh, sorry your day was so bad! That is so disappointing that they don't do at least partial refunds. Kids get injured, and the sports are for fun. What a bummer!