Today is that day. Excuse the cynicism ahead of time. It just has to come out sometimes.
This cute little flashback of baby Vivi giving her annoyed face is to represent how I feel right now. I have a major pet peeve when it comes to cyber social networking like FB, and it is people who come out of the woodwork and now want something from you...as in you have not seen them face to face in over 10 years and they are suddenly pregnant and want to invite you to their baby shower. Now, truly I love baby showers as much as the next gal...really I do...those little outfits and the beautiful packages get me every time! It is all just so sweet. But what I don't like is having a person whom I was out of touch with already by the time I married, so not only was she not at my wedding, but I certainly was not at hers; come out of no where and want to invite me and every person she has ever known to her baby shower because she is pregnant with her first born. Okay I know that was a major run-on...but I'm venting, so stay with me. This person has never met my children, she has no idea where I live, she has no clue as to what my life has been like for the past 10 years. We haven't even officially "caught up" with each other on FB. We don't go to the same church anymore, we don't run with any of the same friends. And we have not spoken or seen each other since at least the year 2000, I would say. Yet I am supposed to want to show up at her party with a blue gift bag and a package of newborn diapers. What?! I am not sure I even know her husband's name. What is it about getting pregnant with your first child that makes people think that every person around them should be so delighted that they want to shower them with gifts? It is just craziness.
Okay...tell me I am not alone here in this very frustrating aspect of cyber social networking, or just poor social etiquette And believe me, ignoring the request for my address has not worked. After 3 personal requests, I gave in and sent it. Guess I can be looking forward to a baby blue colored envelope showing up in my mailbox in the next few weeks. Will I be RSVPing? Hmmm...let me think about that one.

8 friends commented!:
LOL! I have to laugh because I called on someone yesterday I haven't seen in at least 12 years and really haven't caught up with them either. But my cause was to help a family get their child home from Haiti so I didn't feel too bad. And they can help, so it was pretty cool.
It is kind of rude. That's one of those situations where it would be better just to send an announcement when the baby arrives with the registry info in case you want to send a gift. That's what an acquaintance that moved away did. Guess it's a good thing I don't live anywhere close to my old high school friends that are finding me.
I am with you.
And I wouldn't RSVP.
Call me a bitch if you need to. LOL!
I chalk this all up to the poor social etiquette that seems to be becoming the norm. Sad isn't it?
Good luck with that!
:)
Jill
lol-- I am so with you... i will leave it at that so I don't get in trouble :-)
That's crazy. If you RSVP no she'll probably just go away. I have people that I call "friend collectors" whom I am convinced just want to see a large number next to their friends list. I've also left people in what I've dubbed purgatory. I don't respond or ignore their request because I've learned if you hit ignore they can re-friend you. Wow, I sound mean. I really do love FB and reconnecting but there is a line to be drawn.
I'm with Denver Jen about hating it when people collect friends. I mean, some people have over 200 friends. If you take away the family members, that still must leave more people than any one person can actually be real friends with. I recently went on a friend purge. I had accepted friend invites because, as Denver Jen said, they just kept reinviting me to be friends, even three times! Hello, take the hint! So I accepted it, then purged them later. They never even noticed, of course. I still have too many old high school classmates on there whom I didn't even like in high school, but I've got them on a separate list so they don't show up on my home page.
Sorry, rant over. I wouldn't go to this shower unless you really want to catch up with other people who will be there or want some free cake. She's present-grubbing, period. Maybe buy the cheapest diapers possible, LOL, although that will probably come back to haunt you later. Someone capable of present-grubbing is probably capable of lots of other tacky behavior, too.
yeah I won't be going to the shower. Hence my ignoring her request for my address. I was trying to save her a stamp.
And I agree about the friend hoarding on FB. I weeded a bunch out a few weeks ago and need to do some more. It is just not necessary to keep up with that many people superficially.
I'm with everyone & you on this...WHAT?!?! That's just craziness.
I'm with you on not going to her shower and/or buying her a gift...but I am one of those people on FB with almost 500 friends. No they aren't all friends but I do know who they all are...people from high school, college, lab rescue, church etc. If I don't want to see their updates I just click hide but I really never thought of it as a negative that I knew a lot of people.
Post a Comment