Yesterday Billy and I went to the advocacy center and participated in a "Permanency Planning Staffing" with CPS. There were 16 people invited to be a part of this meeting and only about 10 of us were there, all women except for Billy and CPS' assistant district attorney. Those who did not come included J's birthmother, her court appointed attorney, and J's attorney. This was disappointing. We didn't expect his birthmother to come because she didn't show for their visit last week, but I was annoyed that the attorneys weren't there. Our caseworker said to me on the way out, "Laurie, looks like it is just you and me working on this case! We are all we have."
The purpose of the staffing was for everyone involved with the case and their supervisors to get on the same page. I was able to bring a photo album of the boys and passed that around, everyone was very excited to see how they were doing. Then the mediator began by asking our caseworker why J entered the foster care system. She explained that part. There was some confusion as to why the current plan is "reunification" based on the family history until I explained that there were no previous terminations on the mother, only two relinquishments prior to J's birth. Several of the women said "oh, well we can read the writing on the wall here." They all agreed that by our first hearing in court, about 6 months after the child enters care (which for us puts us at right before Christmas...lovely)...we will likely have a new Permanency Plan which will be termination and adoption. That was great to hear. We are praying that it will be that and not an extention for the birthmother to work her services, pushing us into next year. The mediator asked the caseworker what the birthmother's services included, which I won't share here, but I will say 8 weeks into the case she has not done any of them yet.
The mediator thanked us for choosing to parent these boys together. I said "Oh, Isaac has changed our life. Getting J was like winning the lottery twice." She smiled and CPS' attorney said, "we will see if you feel that way when they call you in a year with another one!" ha! We all had a good laugh about that. :)
So that was it! Now I continue to take him to his visits once a week, tend to his medical and developmental needs, and wait out the Fall until our hearing. Thank you all for praying for us and J. Things are progressing the way we hoped and I will let you know if anything changes.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 friends commented!:
So she is not doing what the court asked of her, but she is showing up for her visits? I am glad things are going well for you guys. Do you have an email address, I would love to share some info with you. -Jenn
Jenn- LOVED your email! And yes she came to the first 7 visits and didn't show last week for the 8th. So we will see tomorrow what happens.
Such a mix of emotions but knowing she hasn't done much for him in the past 2 1/2 years I'm thrilled that things are moving towards adoption. Praying these months pass very quickly.
Post a Comment