Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

A Lesson in Advocating For Our Foster Child

Here is J working with his ECI therapist on some sensory issues. This child can. not. stand. having anything on his hands or clothes or face. So she is working with him finger painting w/pudding. He was hesitant and asked several times for a napkin, but we pushed through!
I post this because today we have had major drama trying to advocate for this child. This Thursday, as in 3 days, was his scheduled oral surgery to take care of his cavities. However, over the weekend both he and I became sick. He is always sick, so it was no big surprise there...but being that I am feeling like total junk, I knew something was up. So I took him to the Dr. and when they confirmed he has Strep throat and that we would have to cancel his surgery, I broke down in tears, explaining to the Dr. that I need this baby to get this surgery...he is in pain, daily. So to shut me up, he hastily prescribes codeine to numb his pain and says "sorry, you will have to reschedule." In tears I drive straight to my dr. and beg them to take me without an appt. After an hour in the waiting room with a 3 and 2 year old who are now officially bouncing off the walls, they swab my throat for strep and nasal passages for flu (that was not cool). Lo and behold, I have strep too! So I start crying for the second time in the second dr's office of the day saying "I can't be sick, I have 3 kids and so much to doooo!" meanwhile the kids are systematically destroying magazines in the corner. He was much kinder than the medicaid pediatrician, no surprise there. He offers me a penicillin shot in my rear or pills. I opt for the pills. Meanwhile, Billy has left work at noon and heads over to the pharmacy to get J's antibiotic. The dr. never called it in. So that sends my devoted husband into a tizzy calling up the dr's office to see what is the deal. I in turn cancel his surgery both with the hospital and and the dentist. They also inform me that October is already full so it would have to wait until November. She sends me on a wild goose chase to find another oral surgeon who will do it sooner and that also accepts medicaid. That surgeon is booked til November too. So after crying to the 3rd dr. of the day...which at this point is really aggravating my symptoms...I hung up the phone dejected. Meanwhile, my amazing husband is working miracles to get J a penicillin shot today, so that the dr. will clear him for surgery. Why the pediatrician did not give me that option when I was there this morning is beyond me! So as I rest on the couch with my first two of 4 pills a day of Amoxicillin flowing into my stomach, Billy is at the dr. again with J (after taking Vivi to her dr. an hour ago, to confirm her symptoms are just a cold...lovely) to get his shot and to await the Dr. filling out a form to confirm J can get his surgery. Whew!! I am SO tired and emotionally drained today. Billy said to me that this is proof that we are the ONLY ones who will advocate for this child, and sometimes you have to pitch a fit to get anything done. We are praying that he does not have a reaction to the shot, that the dr. will fill out the form correctly this time, and that the dentist can keep his surgery set for Thursday. Drama is no fun...but it is way worse when you are sick yourself. Please keep praying for our little guy. We need this surgery to take place this Thursday!

1 friends commented!:

FootPrints said...

praying hard. real hard. for ALL of you. that's exactly why god put you in this spot...because he knew YOU would be the ONE to care for his children.