Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pottery Barn on a Budget...part 2

Today, I created my own version of this fall wreath that was featured on Pottery Barn's website for $59. I did it for about 60 cents because I already had the wreath, so I just had to print the photos in sepia. That inspired me to compare all of my bargain Pottery Barn creations around the house...in the form of a collage! I told ya'll I am a huge fan of this company's decorating style. You will see just how true that is! Each collage features PB on the left and my home on the right.
Entertainment center purchased 6 years ago at Haverty's,
the doors fold back flat like the PB one.
Fireplace screen and matching tool set purchased last year at Target on clearance.

Bedding set purchased at Kohls on sale last year, using birthday giftcards.
Sectional from Ikea.
The purchasing of the new furniture forced me to take a critical eye to some other areas of the house that have been a bit neglected. The guest/kids bathroom is always a wreck with toothbrushes all over the counter and bath toys, towels, and clothes scattered across the floor. It is my daily challenge to keep it neat. But in the event that guests come to stay, or we have visitors...which happens a lot lately with ECI, caseworkers, CASA...you name it...I want the bathroom to be guest friendly and appealing.

So here is my updated-no kid's crap-
(I mean adorable little bottles of shampoo, butt wipes, and hair bows)...
bathroom shelves. All prettied up for visitors. I did this in about 15 minutes by just moving some stuff in from other parts of the house and putting all the random stuff in the cabinet under the sink.
My inspiration: These pretty bathroom jars from...guess where? :)
I stole the soap in a jar idea.

We all have random vases that are not in use, right? So throw some soap bars in it. The scent is marvelous and gives the impression the bathroom is clean. And I added a long standing Martha Stewart decorating tip...tying a couple guest towels together.
This keeps them fluffy and clean, since they won't be used by us every day.
I always offer a clean hand towel or these bathroom paper towels,
so guests do not have to use the same towel my kids slobbered on all day. ;)


With small bathrooms, you have got to maximize your space.
And since we rent, we can't paint or renovate. We are thankful for the pretty new faucet they installed and the towel bars we installed and will leave here when we move. That helps!
Now...I will be moving on to the kitchen...and our playroom needs some serious revamped organization. It is just piles of toys at this point.
You can really do a lot on a budget, and if you aren't creative...order PB's free catalogs to arrive at your house...then shop sales at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Target, Craigslist, etc. to match the decor you love.
That should get you started!

5 friends commented!:

Deb said...

I love the soap in the vase. Dave tossed a bunch of my vases before we moved and I cried. One was very special too. Oh well moving on...

Look forward to seeing all this in person soon.

FootPrints said...

I LOVE your RE-Do's!! way to show you can have a beautiful home on a budget

Sweet Patience said...

Cute makeovers!

I love budget makeovers. Did you know Pottery Barn has free classes every so often (I am sure that you do)? I get emails from them all of the time on their free classes. They teach you how to do their wreaths and other things that are of interest to decorators. Each class is on a different topic.
I think that I am going to suggest to my neighbors to attend the next one as a social committee event for those who are interested. I am over the social committee and I think it is a great way to expose others to smart decorating, by doing some on your own and saving money.

Also, Michaels has wreath decorating classes. I did mine on my own. I saw the wreath I wanted and I picked up the filling and did it myself last year instead of ordering a wreath from a catalog that I saw.

I love Khol's as well! I ordered one of their comforters last year on line when it went on sale and the store ran out of the size that I needed. I ordered this beautiful blue and chocolate hotel style bedding. Nothing beats decorating on a budget whether you have it to spend or not! It is just wise spending.
Ikea is definitely a great one. I shopped there regularly when we lived in NYC. When we moved here, our city finally got an Ikea store about a year or so after we arrived. We make visits there at least quarterly. If you know what you want and have an eye for accessories, you can really get a bang for your buck there.

Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Jen T. said...

Gosh you are sooooo creative. Love it! My biggest challenge are my walls - (where exactly and what?). Maybe I should look at catalogs for ideas!

tif said...

great ideas! you've done a wonderful job making your rent house a home. we're leasing now as well, since we aren't resigned with the idea of staying in tulsa long-term.