Tonight we had the privilege of meeting our boys' biological cousins. I brought them big batches of cookies. We met at the CPS office since the brothers live in two different foster homes. She said that the boys had been raised in their first home with J, like brothers, and had been asking about him. Their mother is the sister of my boys' birthmother. Isaac walked in the room and stuck out his hand introducing himself (which was so sweet!). The brothers remember him as his birth name. Even though the last time they saw Isaac he was 5 months old, I had been sending photos to his birthfamily so they remembered seeing he and Vivi on the beach, and various other scenes. I don't think Billy and I were prepared for how much we would instantly love these boys when we met them. K (the 13 year old) shared a ton about J's living situation, which I won't share here. they said J was very independent (getting his own food out of the fridge). We knew that as we have had to train that out of him. I asked who cared for him mainly and K said that the two of them did and their grandmother some. K was quick to say he wanted our phone number and wants to come visit, which we are so happy about. They were very polite and very outgoing, like we had all known each other for years.
The part of the visit that had the most impact on me was where K asked a lot about J...if he was talking yet, if he was potty training, telling me how J loves cereal and pasta, and other little things he knew about him like how he doesn't like hats. Almost like a parent would. It struck me that this child raised my baby.
The other part is that K told us about the night of the removal. How the cops were there and how he cried when they said he would have to leave. I said to him, "how scary it must be to leave the only home you have ever known and move in with strangers." He nodded. He said they didn't even get him to the foster home until after midnight because they had to make all these stops first, various agency offices and such, and how all 5 kids were seperated. It seemed to have a big impact on him.
I wrote a little note to their foster parents with Billy's cell phone and an email address and asked if the boys could spend Thanksgiving with us. They are not in adoptive homes, so their best bet is that they will atleast get to age out of the foster care system in the same home and not be bounced around. I told the boys that we are their family since we adopted Isaac- his family became ours too. They smiled. The ten year old and Isaac goofed off and played around like the best of friends. We are really praying that God will use us in these boys lives as extended family. They have not seen a single member of their family or friends since the day they went into the foster care system. To lose your whole life in one moment...
I just can't imagine it.
They may have lost them...but we will do everything to make sure they don't lose us.
5 friends commented!:
I'm in tears reading this.
So glad you were able to meet and they have you in their lives now to hopefully always keep track of them so the boys can see your boys grow up. What a testimony and example you'll be for these boys.
Wow...this post is such an eye opener. You and your husband are setting the best example for your children. You guys are amazing. I hope they get to spend Thanksgiving with you and see what a real family does on Holidays. Girl you really are a blessing in these children's life! There is a special spot in heaven for you!
Thank you both for your kind words!! I say this with all sincerity, that it is not out of Billy and I's awesome character that makes this happen. ;) The Lord brought us our baby boy OUT of the BLUE and here He is faithfully bringing these two guys in our life. Just like how He saved us from the pit of hell because of no worthiness on our part, He also provides ALL that we have. If the Lord has a special place reserved for us in Heaven, I hope it is with you two in a big group home for kids who died too young! :) Joking aside, I truly believe that out of the abundance of mercy, love, and grace that our Lord has shown us throughout our lifetime, overflows to mercy, love, and grace for those He puts in our lives. These boys, just like my Isaac, Vivi, and J are blessings I could have never known to pray for!
Boy that little family of yours is growing FAST! That is so wonderful that you could meet those boys, and that they felt they could trust you enough to open up like that! I am sure that you will have a big impact in their lives, and I look forward to hearing more about them!
Gosh Laurie, my eyes are filled with tears. Joy, sadness....all in one. And you answered some of the questions I send you in my last email.
I'm so thankful you got to meet them, and they have some memories now to hold onto when they are missing their family.
ugh. I can't stop crying.
praying for all of them. If you do have a dinner with them, I can donate some money towards food. If they are related to Isaac and J, you've got some serious cooking to do! LOL
love you girl!
b
Post a Comment