Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

J's Surgery

J had his tonsils and adenoids out on Tuesday. Here he is waiting to go back for the surgery.
He is SO good about having medical procedures done. He whines a little but doesn't fight it and barely cries. And here we are admitted into our hospital room. The Dr. wanted him to stay overnight for observation since he was diagnosed with "severe obstructive sleep apnea". She said that his adenoids were so big that they were virtually cutting off his air supply. Yikes!
I ordered him peaches, jello, and icecream and in about 3 hours he ate it all! That night he moved on to mac n cheese and spaghettios. We were model patients with getting him to rest and drink.

A volunteer came and did a craft with him.

The next morning he really wanted to get his own clothes on and was begging to have his IV port taken out, which they didn't do until right before dismissal.

He watched TV nonstop and was very happy to do so! Toy Story 3 kept coming on the movie channels and this is his favorite movie, so that kept him very entertained. My biggest complaint was that the nurses did not check on us very often at all and I had to ask 4 times in a timespan of 40 minutes for his pain meds to be brought to him. If they mail me a survey of our visit, I will be filling it out for sure. Also, when they took his IV out, his hand didnt clot so I looked down and his whole had was covered in blood and dripping all over the floor. That made him very upset as were were being discharged.
Today, our biggest problem is that he does not want to swallow- even with his pain meds being given every 4 hours round the clock. So he talks muffled with a huge mouth full of spit and you can imagine how hard it is to get him to chew and swallow any food! He kept his one bite of pancake in his mouth for 15 minutes until I made him spit it out.
So I know I am going to be in for long day of him saying he is hungry. :(

6 friends commented!:

Jeremy said...

Hey, Sooo glad it's over and hope he feels better soon. Can't wait to see a difference in his sleeping! Glad you guys can move on from here, and no more procedures!

czstout said...

Glad he made it through OK, and that he's on the mend! Praying y'all get some sleep and he gets some much needed nutrients!! You rock Laurie and Billy!!!

Lane said...

Hope he is feeling better soon!

Snowmanlover said...

Oh poor baby! I didn't realize it was this past Tuesday! How is he doing!

Deb said...

That sounds very painful and uncomfortable for the little guy. Hope he wakes up able to swallow better tomorrow.

Ebe said...

Oh, so glad that the surgery went well and that he's going to be able to breathe so much better.
Hope he's doing well today!