Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Finding Dolls Who Match Our Children...


If you have known me for any number of years, you know that finding dolls and toys that match my children has been a real passion of mine....and sadly this has not been an easy task! It is so important to me because children identify with their environment, and it is a fact that much of what they see is light skinned. Action figures are white, characters in books are white, greeting cards feature white children, television shows cast white people in the lead rolls. It is a small gesture for us as parents to be intentional about those things we choose to bring into our homes. I have told the story before of how years ago, right before Isaac was to join our family, I went to a popular toy store searching for a black baby doll. I chose the location of this store hoping I would have a variety of dolls to choose from. The entire staff at the store was African Amerian and yet the entire doll aisle was filled with white babies. I asked an employee, "where are the black dolls?" and she looked on each shelf thinking surely there would be one...to no avail. We both shook our heads at the perplexity of this and I left the store without my doll.
This took me to the internet where I came across a wonderful company called The Pattycake doll company. This website features categories of dolls based on ethnicity, special needs, and even dolls for boys! This doll is called Baby Bottoms and he is the one I purchased for Isaac way back when he was a toddler! And this little doll that is now for Jasmine, I purchased from The Pattycake Doll Co. years ago as well. (they no longer sell this exact one) It was made to be safe for infants.
So when it was time to buy Vivi some dolls, you know where I went!
Vivi has this caramel skinned beauty that she got for her first Christmas.And for her first birthday, this little soft bodied cutie who comes complete with a hospital bracelet!
Vivi also owns this set of wooden paper dolls and outfits, which we love!
I LOVE The Pattycake Doll Company and that is why I am SO thrilled to announce that in honor of Jasmine's birth, they are offering a DOLL BLOG GIVEAWAY to my readers!!!

www.PattycakeDoll.com has just been awarded two HowtoLearn.com top 101 sites awards, one as Top 101 Educational sites and another a month later as Top 101 Special needs sites. I also want to point out that this company's products can be purchased at www.SleepySoft.com (dolls), www.MyAdoptedChild.com (announcements and invitations), and www.Booksanddolls.com.
To be entered in the DOLL GIVEAWAY (giveaway doll to be chosen by the company), you must go to their site and check out the wonderful selection (over 175 dolls) that they offer! Then come back here and leave a comment with your honest feedback about the website and which doll(s) you would personally purchase for a child in your life. I will be using Random.org to generate a random drawing of commenters and announce the winner here on Friday! You do not have to have a blog account to enter and you do not need to leave your email address, but DO come back here to see if you won and contact me via laurieandvivi@yahoo.com within 48 hours or I will choose another winner.
Pattycake dolls are the perfect gift for your own child's birthday or adoption day. They also make a wonderful gift for a friend or family's child. And don't forget they also sell dolls for children with special needs, dolls for infants and toddlers, potty dolls, AND boy dolls! I think every single child should own a doll from the Pattycake doll company.
We will continue to be customers for years to come!

22 friends commented!:

Deb said...

The site itself could use a makeover. But I only say that because of the way it appears on my screen so it might not be so for everyone. Half my screen is blank. There's so much more room they could add their wonderful product.
But that does not keep me from shopping through their site.
(Bet you didn't want THAT much)

I'd love to get Cecile by Corolle some day. But I think the one I would want first is the Dress Up Dolls that you have pictured.

Just Believing said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Just Believing said...

I would love the Joey Doll under Hispanic ZDolls

I agree the website could use a major facelift! bigger pictures more clear picture but i think its easy to find what race you are looking for

Hannah_Rae said...

I've browsed their site before, and I agree with Debbie that it could be cleaner and more efficient, but I love their products.

My two favorite dolls are the Rosy Cheeks Hispanic doll and the baby bottoms Hispanic boy doll. I like that they have, as you said, caramel skin, and can be used for biracial children as well as Hispanic.

Blessings!

Hannah

FootPrints said...

Thanks so much for sharing!! so funny, last week i was at KMart looking for an asian doll and NONE. yet this state is about 70% asian. hhhmmm...i visited pattycake doll and l love their dolls! i'm off to buy one now!

Chicory Blue said...

I love these dolls...but Oh my, I would have a hard time deciding which to get.
I work with preschool-aged children and have wanted a boy doll...so I know I would choose a boy doll. But dress me boy or down syndrome boy? African American or asian?

and I loved the dolls that correspond to stories....

What a quandry (a good one to have)

The Journey said...

I think "Little Hailey" is my favorite... would love a doll for our new little one who will be coming home from Uganda soon! :)

Jolene said...

I agree - they could use some professional web designers on board!
However - I love their vision and products! I would love to get the Baby Bottoms Black Baby Girl Doll
but they don't ship to Canada!! We have an even more difficult time finding dolls of different races here than in the US! In fact - we can only find them in the US. It's a shame. I hope they change this!!

BHRMAMA said...

I loved the site. Was really hoping for a Native American doll, since our boy that we adopted is 1/4 Sioux Indian. But other than that I think it is a great resource for parents! I would love the Feel Better Frog! thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Laurie,

I love your Blog, and your family, especially your cute new addition Jasmine. I love dolls and was excited to see this site with all the different dolls. It is very hard to find these dolls so I will definitely be visiting this site frequently. I love the detailed description of the dolls on the site and the various choices to match your child, both age and color. I would love to add Savannah to my collection for my daughter.

Corey Family said...

I agree that the site could use a little updating however it was easy to navigate and look at pictures even on my iPhone!

One day I would live to buy "Dolly Boots" for my Juniper!

Lane said...

I agree the site is off-putting, but easy enough to get around. The selection is amazing - there has to be something for everyone (some of the dolls were not my style but I can see that others would love them). I wish I had come across these before the Pottery Barn ones (also cute but twice the price)! I think the Tops & Tights 56pc Dress Up Dolls will be perfect for my daughter when she hits that magical age of 3.

Peter and Nancy said...

The Baby Bottoms Black Baby Girl Doll would be perfect for our new little one.

We do have trouble finding India-looking dolls that aren't Native American. Because our 4-year-old daughter's skin tone is very dark brown, but she has straight hair, we can't usually find a doll that looks just like her. But baby dolls are bald, so they're perfect. :o)
Nancy

Anonymous said...

I love the Pattycake Doll Company! I've known about them for about 4 years now. I bought 2 black, male dolls for my son through them. I've always thought that their web site could be improved. You have to scroll a lot. I don't know what the waterfall has to do with dolls. I like the new text though.

My favorites are the Baby Bottoms dolls. My son has the Nighty Night boy, and I'd love to have a Nighty Night girl to go with him.

Thanks for sponsoring the giveaway!

Anonymous said...

What a great website! I love that there are boy dolls and I love the paper dolls. I haven't found any paper dolls that have anything other than white girls. That would probably be my choice of thing to get. The Tops & Tights 56pc Dress Up Dolls.

Also, love your blog!!

Snowmanlover said...

Oh my gosh !! Sooooo cute! I love Isaac's first doll!
If I win, please pass on to the next person after me, as my kids are older. I forgot where we bought our "Ethnic" Dolls from years ago but these are MUCH cuter!! So nice of you to do this!

Wendy said...

I find the site isn't eye candy but they do have a lot to choose from for African American dolls. It is so hard to narrow down but I think my favorites are Tidoo Graceful and Yasmin & Sierra.

Richele said...

I love the 'Nighty-Night' Soft Black Girl Doll.

The website was super easy to use to find the perfect doll to match our little girl - and I love that they have so many choices!

Agree with Debbie about the wasted space, but other than that - super easy to shop.

Peach said...

I have known and loved this website since before our daughter came home. I love that there are dolls available for Special Needs children. My fav doll there is Elle. Hope to own her one day!

KLTTX said...

I agree with the other posters that the blog site could use a make-over. If I stumbled across it on my own, I would probably not order because it does not look professional. When you click on a category, they need bigger pictures of the dolls offered in that category. The font is also hard to read. That being said, the dolls look really nice. I would choose one of two dolls - hispanic boy doll or African boy doll.

Whitney Weir said...

Stupid work got in the way of me seeing this blog and entering a chance to win!

Kelly said...

I love the special needs dolls! Working in the field Aliya sees a lot of my clients in wheelchairs or those with Down Syndrome I think they are great!!!!