
Awww...look at our baby girl growing up right in front of our eyes!! 3 months old is such a milestone! This is the month she will likely roll over, grab toys and bring them to her mouth, she may start sleeping longer stretches at night, she may officially move from a 4 ounce bottle to a 6 ounce bottle...we will see!!

She has really been enjoying these fists and her little baby dolls. Drooling on bald heads is SO much fun! P.S. I am always on the lookout for low price black baby dolls (i.e. no shipping), so let me know what you find!


So in honor of our little darling turning 3 months and having a full head of hair, I thought ya'll might enjoy a HAIR post!!
I spent Jasmine's first couple of months polling just about every African American mom with a baby daughter that I came across as to when they started to "do" their daughter's hair. I was interested in this information because 1) I am very aware that putting bands in your child's hair can lead to breakage and hair loss so of course you would not want to do that to pretty baby hair too soon BUT 2) the fact that my baby was already sporting a luscious amount of hair made me feel a bit self conscience about taking her out into the world all wild and crazy-like. Most of these moms said between 4-6 months old. They were all quick to point out though that their daughters did not have a full head of curls like Jasmine. I have come to notice that lots of African American girls have straight baby hair for awhile and then their curls form later in infancy. Also, bald patches and hair loss can be very common. Well so far, as you can see, we have not had any of those issues.
In anticipation of the fact that I would likely choose to do my baby's hair well before that 4 month mark due to the a fore mentioned full head of hair and due to the fact that it is important to begin to toughen your curly-headed child's scalp early so they can tolerate a lifetime of hair care (I started doing Vivi's hair at 3 months), I began to assemble my arsenal of hair care items and began my research on great blogs like, Chocolate Hair Vanilla Care .
And Happy Girl Hair ...while also getting style ideas from my friend's blog, Belle's Curls.
(**Safety note, I do not leave her unattended in the Bumbo on a table, I promise!)
We have our wide tooth and fine tooth combs, in her signature color Royal Purple. ;)
We also have her pink caboodle (remember those!) filled with headbands and bows, soft fabric hair bands, a baby brush, and barrettes.
Because of her age, I have chosen not to use hair products but instead use Jojoba oil to soften her hair and moisturize her scalp and dry skin (like her ankles). I also use a spray bottle of distilled water that I will eventually mix the oil into when her hair becomes dryer.The only style I do because of length are the puffs. This requires gently detangling the whole head with water, a bit of oil, and the wide tooth comb. Then I part it with the fine tooth comb.
I hope you are less intimidated about doing your daughter's hair. Obviously this is so simple and I have SO much to learn about length and tangles and braids and beading and "co-washing" and sand and swimming and silk bedtime caps...whew! Are you sweating yet? Cause I am! But I am so very grateful for those white mama's who have paved the way for me with their brown baby girls and have taken the time to blog about it!!
If they can do it...we ALL can do it!!
My recommendation...do NOT wait until your baby is one or two to start doing their hair. Bad things have gone down with little girls who had not been trained and had their head toughened. Your African American daughter's reality is, she WILL have to have her hair done, for the rest of her life. And it does take lots of time and attention the longer it gets. But be sure to keep in mind your infant's hair texture before messing with it too much. You do not want to pull and tug on thin, fine hair. It will result in hair loss.
I will continue to blog about Jasmine's hair as life goes on and the length affords us new opportunities. I wanted to end by sharing this beautiful little picture montage that my friend Debbie did in reference to her daughter's hair. Thing of Beauty.
8 friends commented!:
I love her perfect head of curls. I'm picking up some of the black cloth bands for you this weekend and will bring them and some other stuff.
Love the picture of her cuddling with her doll. So sweet.
Can nanas do this?
OH wow is she precious. I can tell you are having so much fun!!
Hey! We've had something come up tonight and I'm desperate for info on toddler adoption? books or websites that I should have a crash course in?
Kelly- the best book I read was Toddler Adoption. If I have time I will organize some posts I wrote when J came home into a label for Toddler Adoption. Feel free to email me with any specific questions you may have! laurieandvivi@hotmail.com
I just love the puffs!! Oh she's such a cutie. I can't wait to see her again!!
Oh I love the puffs!! She is so cute! I can't wait to see her again.
I just did a blog entry on hair for my 6 year old adopted AA daughter...and i just finished a whole head of yarn extentions...whew, that was such a learning experience!! Haha! Check it out www.lifewithfourcrazykids.blogspot.com
Post a Comment