Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Some Days...

In light of posting about my friend's blog where she talked about not letting the stares bother her with her daughter when they are out in public, I have to confess I am not so forgiving. Some days I really just want to blend in. I don't want to have to fend of the crazies...or the annoying remarks and questions. Here is just a taste of what I have heard in the past 7 days alone.

"Is she yours or is she adopted?"
My response: "She is mine AND she is adopted."

From a Dr. "Well sometimes you conceive after you adopt."
Ummm...no. There is actually no scientific data to support that theory AT ALL.

"Oh, Ok! For some reason, I thought they were yours!"
"They are mine."

"Are any of your kids yours?"
"Yes, they all are."

"Whose your friend?"
Oh...you mean, my SON? This is Jayden.

That is just this week, people.
*sigh*

5 friends commented!:

paigescrib. said...

some of those are just so ignorant.. Love yah Laurie. miss you!

Unknown said...

Your responses are PERFECT!!!!

Mom of the Fab 4!! said...

Now here is a post that I can relate to! I have two african american kids too! I get these kind of questions hourly when out! I feel for ya! It gets SO annoying to say the least! Sadly, my kids are starting to pick up on it and ask me questions as to why are people so "mean". Great post to get some thinking of what they ask complete strangers!
www.lifewithfourcrazykids.blogspot.com

Brandi and Jeremy... said...

Ugh...I'd be totally frustrated. Like nails down a chalkboard. It MUST get very tiring. I just would want to punch them. :)

On a similar note,
I am grateful that I have learned through your friendship and journey how to be more smart about what comes out of my mouth. Cause if I'm honest, I probably would still be very naive about it all, had I not been by your side. I wish the general public was more educated and self-aware of their comments and views, but most people only change when it directs them personally or someone they know.

I still probably say things wrong at times, but I'm learning and know you would always gently correct me.
love you girl.

Kellym said...

I am enjoying your adoption blog. We have just finished all of our "stuff" to foster. I am sure we will get lots of comments. We already have six kids, so we get comments all the time LOL.