Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

The Cousins

Last week, we had our boys' cousins here for three days. It was the second Thanksgiving in a row they have spent with us and we are hoping this continues to be a tradition for them. For those of you who are just tuning in to the blog: last year we were told that Jayden's cousins whom he had been raised with, had been removed by CPS on the same day he was. They were living in two different foster homes about an hour from our house. CPS wanted us to have a "goodbye" visit with them. But that was not good enough for us! We were able to get clearance to have them for Thanksgiving, a weekend in December, and about 3 more times throughout this past year. We enjoy having them, but two pre-teen boys are not an easy transition to our 4 little ones. Isaac and 11 year old "T" get along so much better than they did a year ago. And 15 year old "K" loves to play with Jayden and Jasmine. Vivi...well she just tags along.

Atleast she doesn't seem to mind being outnumbered by boys!!

Last year we gave them lots of presents, but this year with the baby and all, I just didn't have the energy level for that. So several friends, some church members, and Billy's parents contributed to getting us the boys' each a $100 giftcard to Walmart, a box of treats, games, and a trip to Main Event. It was a fun-filled 3 days! We appreciate our support network SO much in making this another special Christmas for the Cousins.
I took them to Walmart and "T" spent some of his gift card on a guitar. Of course he wanted Billy to give him lessons the minute he got home from work! We noted that "T" asked about Billy a lot when he wasn't here and engaged him constantly when he was. We really feel for him that he does not have a Dad in his life. We can see how very important that is for a kid when he is here.

The boys enjoy watching all the movies and cartoons we take for granted. K told me that his mom's parental rights had been terminated. I asked how he felt about this and he said "I dealt with the emotions awhile ago. So it was okay." These boys will age out of the foster care system, and that is a sad reality for them. It is our goal that they always know they have family with us. K told me that 5 of his foster brothers go with family every weekend. It made me sad we can only get them every other month or so. But I know that he is in a solid foster home with a very devoted foster dad. K made all A's on his recent report card (first year in highschool) and his foster dad gave him $100 cash. Woohoo! I told him I was so proud of him and I see him going far in college. We are hoping to get them again early January for Jayden's birthday.

5 friends commented!:

Kimberly said...

Beautiful post! All of you are so fortunate to be able to have each other during the Holidays and other times during the year. I am sure having them with family means so much to you and I'm sure in their hearts they feel your love. You are planting seeds of love, spiritually, stability and structure. It's my prayer that they take these lessons and more into their future and do great things with their lives! What a blessing you are to each other.

Kelly L said...

I was just wondering if they came to visit! So glad they were able to!

Unknown said...

It is so sad to see older kids age out of the system to not have a family. When we went to our local foster Thanksgiving dinner celebration the loss on some of the older kids faces hurt my heart. It's amazing that the cousins have you all as a forever family even if there are no papers to prove it. Your hearts and actions solidify it enough.

Mommy3 said...

How wonderful! This just warmed my heart to read.

Deb said...

So amazing how God moves and changes our families as we continue to be obedient to Him. Think about K & T often and what a blessing it is to see what a real family should be like. I know that will help them as they grow despite the instability of their lives right now.