I had a really rough weekend.
My pain and headaches were all full force. I am not sleeping worth jack anymore.
And I just felt so much despair.
I am so thankful for a strong, loving husband who has come along side me in my grief and extreme grouchiness to love on me and support my treatment decisions.
Billy's care really helped to lift me out of what felt like a pit.
Amidst my personal turmoil, I had ordered a FREE book last week from the ministry, Gospel For Asia.
It is called No Longer A Slumdog. You can get your free copy, here.
If you have seen the movie, Slumdog Millionaire, then it will make reading the book much more visual to you as it talks about the slums of India and the oppression the people there face.
I read the book in 2 days and it really put into perspective the opportunities and abilities I and my children have here that so much of the world does not have. It is not that I wasn't aware as my favorite books have always been ones that portray stories of human suffering from concentration camp accounts in books like The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom to slave accounts in books like Uncle Tom's Cabin.
However, this book opened my eyes further to the tugging I have felt for awhile now, that adoption is not the answer to the worldwide crisis of poverty and orphaned children.
The Gospel is.
GFA builds "Bridges of Hope" centers which are places that children who would otherwise have no opportunities then to work on the streets can go to school, learn about hygiene, receive in many cases their only meal of the day, AND most importantly be given the greatest gift of all... the truth of salvation. This knowledge equips these kids and builds "a bridge" to their families and communites for Christ's message to be shared in an environment that is mostly Hindu. They also build "Jesus Wells" so that those who are considered the Untouchables of society can have access to clean water and the opportunity to hear the Good News.
My heart has been stirred to pray about how our family can help.
The author says that we ought to pray that God would break our hearts for what breaks His.
Whether it be to sponsor a child at a Bridge of Hope center for $28 a month, or whether it be to give to missionaries involved in this work...I am not sure where God will call us to.
We have a family at our church who are missionaries here in TX for Gospel For Asia.
I am hoping to talk to them soon about where the greatest needs are.
I am thankful for this book and the perspective it has given me on my own suffering in comparison to much more intense suffering that people all over the world live their entire lives with.
I have ordered another free book from this ministry and look forward to reading it.
It has come at a good time in my life when my mind has been scattered and my spirit has been weak.
Satan has fed me so many lies over the past few weeks. But the Lord continues to bring the word of Truth to me through these experiences and through friends sweet words of encouragement to not believe these lies, but to hold on to the Truth.
My heart has been stirred to pray about how our family can help.
The author says that we ought to pray that God would break our hearts for what breaks His.
Whether it be to sponsor a child at a Bridge of Hope center for $28 a month, or whether it be to give to missionaries involved in this work...I am not sure where God will call us to.
We have a family at our church who are missionaries here in TX for Gospel For Asia.
I am hoping to talk to them soon about where the greatest needs are.
I am thankful for this book and the perspective it has given me on my own suffering in comparison to much more intense suffering that people all over the world live their entire lives with.
I have ordered another free book from this ministry and look forward to reading it.
It has come at a good time in my life when my mind has been scattered and my spirit has been weak.
Satan has fed me so many lies over the past few weeks. But the Lord continues to bring the word of Truth to me through these experiences and through friends sweet words of encouragement to not believe these lies, but to hold on to the Truth.
I don't know what you readers are personally going through.
But I suspect there is heartache out there. And maybe medical issues or emotional issues.
Maybe you feel very alone.
I pray that when you come here, you will feel like someone understands.
Even if we may never meet and I might never get the chance to wrap my arms around you, I want you to know that the God that created you IS there with you in your sorrow and in your pain as He has been so ever present in mine.
I love this song by Hillsong United and I pray it blesses you today as you ponder upon the sacrifice Christ made to pull us out of the wreckage.

2 friends commented!:
Laurie, I loved this post. I listened to the song and it is beautiful. A friend of mine from India gave me that book and I have not read it. I am going to start on it tomorrow!
Hang in there sweet friend, know you are in my prayers right now!
Post a Comment