Yesterday was a big milestone for a member of this family:
Keishun got his driver's license!!
Here he is waiting for the driving test. He did not do so well on parallel parking, but who does? Today he was added to our insurance...can we say expensive...and he drove off after school with two friends to the rec center to play bball.
Yes, I am that mother who sat in the window and watched them load up and pull away.
BUT, I did not take a picture.
See? I'm growing, people!
I did however say a silent prayer that they all put their seat belts on and did not goof off and distract my child from driving.
His grandparents sent him this congratulatory card today:
The gas gift card was a very thoughtful touch as we have made it clear he will be paying for ALL his own gas. He will have Billy's truck to drive about...but will need a job very soon because his meager allowance is sure to run out fast. My income at the preschool covers his insurance, but this summer he will be expected to work full time and pick up the tab on that too.
The note my mom included in the card says:
"please make smart choices!"
Oh, how we all wish that for him. I have been asked by lots of people if I am nervous for my child to have a license. Yes and no. I am not nervous he will get in an accident, I can pretty much guarantee he will...didn't we all in one fashion or another?
We have told him he is to begin to build a saving's account of $500 before he can buy any major purchases. This covers his insurance deductible in the event he needs to use it. If it comes that he needs his insurance payout before he has saved it all up, we have told him he will not be allowed to drive until he has the deductible.
I am not nervous he will go places we do not approve of, because I am a helicopter mom and am always up in my kids business.
I AM nervous however that he may not always make smart choices. I have informed him that if he gets pulled over by a cop, which in our town will likely happen before this weekend...he is to be super polite and not give an attitude. I told him that being a black teenage boy makes him a target...he may be asked to exit the vehicle and receive a pat down, a search of the truck, and a thorough questioning as to where he is going, where he came from, etc.
I pray pray pray that he keeps his cool.
I know he will not have anything on him that is of question, that is not a concern...it is his attitude that will get him in trouble.
So with that, I will send my son off into the big wide scary world with a smile and a prayer that God will watch over my boy and protect him.


5 friends commented!:
that is a level of parenting i never wanna reach! Traveling Mercies Keishun!
Wow! Your first driver! That is a parenting milestone . . . and I love your attitude about hoping for the best, but knowing our kids learn as they go.
Nancy
Congrats on the milestone, he seems like a smart kid, love the way you evaluated your concerns!
paying for his own gas, insurance...full time...job... this kid is quite head of me already. HAHAHA yikes! good for him!!! send him our way(:
Well Paige, we don't make near the income your parents do and we have 3 more children! If the kid wants to get around, he has got to get a job!
Post a Comment