Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Icecream and Integration



Today I had an interesting moment with my daughter and it sparked some research of my own that I wanted to share.

After preschool, we had about a half an hour before we needed to be at the other kids school for pickup. Since today was her birthday, I thought I would take her to Dairy Queen for icecream. 

We sat at a booth and I looked over her head to a large wall size poster showing off one of the first Dairy Queen's in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I noticed that the black and white photos featured scores of people lined up for their first taste of vanilla goodness. 

What I also noticed was that every single person in line was white. 

I squinted and saw the date:
1952.

Well, that explains it. Integration hadn't occured yet.
I frowned and looked down at my brown skinned daughter happily lapping up her oreo blizzard and feeding me bites in between. 

As we shared a booth. 

It did not pass by me that had I been a 34 year old mother in 1952...
this scene playing out before me, would have never taken place.
She wouldn't be allowed to be my daughter.
And we certainly wouldn't be enjoying Dairy Queen together.
Often times, we as white people are able to go about our days and weeks not ever thinking of how it was and how it could have been without the Civil Rights Movement. 
Sure, we give a nod to it every January around the 21st.
And sometimes we might seek more info a few weeks later during Black History Month.
But how often do we let it really sink in that the life we live as an interracial family is one that could not have existed as it is just 50 years ago. Ice cream at a Dairy Queen was ordered at the "Whites Only" and "Colored Only" windows. 
And if you dare mix it up and try to make a statement...you suffered.

We have heard of people like Rosa Parks and those who fought for racial equality in the 60's. 
But have you heard of Patricia Stephens Due?
Me neither.
And yet, her life was a fascinating one. 
Utterly devoted to making the world a better place for 
people of all colors and nationalities.
You can read about her and the time she defied Jim Crow laws at her local Dairy Queen, here. 

I know that I will never take for granted the fact that I can enjoy my daughter's favorite treat, sitting with her in the same booth.

I will never take for granted the brave Americans who walked before me in a country where things were very, very different. And that through personal persecution and sacrifice, paved a way for me in the year 2013 to be the mother to 4 black children. 

I hope every time you dip your spoon into a Blizzard, you will be reminded of these historical heroes too.

2 friends commented!:

Peter and Nancy said...

Thanks for the link to Patricia Due's story. I do think of those realities for our family. Before I had kids, I worked for a history museum for 11 years, and all of the photos from before the 1970s told their own story: you just never saw caucasian people in the same pictures with people of color.
Nancy

~*~Jeny~*~ said...

Thinking about this always brings tears to my eyes. Can't imagine a world where Avery couldn't be a part of our family!!