It is one week before Easter, peeps.
Can you believe it?
This year has already flown by for me.
Managing a family of seven will do that to you.
Over the past two weeks I have been collecting my kids Easter basket treats. We budget how much we want to spend per basket, cash the money out, and then that is what I use to shop with. Today I stuffed the baskets and will go buy cellophane bags to wrap them in. Over the years I have made sure to get each of my children the same large white wicker basket, which makes it easier all around for me to shop and gives everyone a fair amount of goodies.
Shopping and stuffing baskets for five kids on a budget is no easy task, so I thought I would share some of my ideas with you.
(**some of these I am doing and others are over our budget, but I wanted to give a variety of ideas):
~Play Jewelry.
~Pink or purple Peeps.
~Princess puzzles
~Barbie toothbrush
~Pink foil wrapped chocolate bunny
~Snap bracelet
~Sunglasses
~Hair accessories
~Earrings if her ears are pierced
~Ring pop
~Jump rope
~Water colors
~Jellybeans
~Stickers
~Pez dispenser
~Mini princess dolls
~Markers or crayons
~Small nerf gun
~Backpack hand sanitizer
~Angry Birds puzzle
~Super hero toothbrush
~Colorful shoe laces
~School pencils and fun erasers
~Temporary tatoos
~A watch
~Match box cars
~Bouncy balls
~Cookies n Cream chocolate bunny
~Baseball cards
~Growing dinosaur eggs (that you put in water)
~Large gummy chicks
~A book
~Glow-in-the dark swords or ceiling stars
~Yo-yo
~A slinky
~Sippy Cup
~Board book
~Small stuffed animal
~Little chocolate bunny
~Toddler spoon and fork
~Sidewalk chalk
~Bubbles
~Under pants
~Fruit snacks
~Hair accesories or a baseball cap
~Applesauce pouches
~Play cell phone
~Light up spinning toy
~Chunky crayons
~Cotton candy package
~Playdough
~Clementines
~ A DVD
~Cash in a large Easter egg
~Reese's or Snickers chocolate bunny
~A razor & shaving cream
~Brush or hair pick
~Toothbrush/toothpaste
~Mechanical pencils
~Quarters in an egg for school vending machine
~A lanyard from their favorite college
~Bumper stickers
~Wallet
~Card games
~Their favorite snack or bottle of gatorade/soda flavor
~Gum
~Body wash and new sponge
~Magazine subscription
~Itunes giftcard
~A Novel
~Cell phone case
So...there you have it.
Hope you have as much fun as I do preparing Easter baskets for our kids.
Now a bit on why I do this.
I know and my children know that Easter is not about the chocolate or the eggs. But I do these things and so many others because I believe that it is my role as their mother to create beautiful experiences and memories for them. Yes, we all have better things to spend our money on then plastic and candy. And yes, we are all tired and weary from all the demands of motherhood to add one more thing to our list.
But let us remember that receiving an Easter basket means more than "getting stuff". It is the symbol of a devoted mother who cherishes you so much that she took time and money to hand pick and prepare something elaborate with YOU in mind.
That feeling is priceless.
Pastor John Piper's dad wrote a message about his mother in "A Memorial To Ruth, My Wife" by Bill Piper. He writes:
"Her
beauty was that of expanded unselfishness. Her whole life was others,
her loved ones, her friends, her neighbors and her church. She knew no
resting place. The needs were endless and her devotion always equaled
the demands. Deep weariness of mind and body never deterred her."
I pray to my Lord that this can be said about me.
I pray that God will continue to refine my attitude about the overwhelming stress of being a wife and mother to many, so that the legacy I leave behind can be one that brings honor to my family. I fail in this endeavor often. But I know that my Father's grace abounds for His daughter and He will complete the good work He has begun. I also pray this for all of you dear mothers who are weary and heavy laden with the demands that are upon your life.
"Deep weariness of mind and body never deterred her."
May we all find our joy in preparing those things that bring happiness to our families.





1 friends commented!:
Thank you for this encouragement! love the ideas!
Post a Comment