I read a lot of books when we were going through our quest to conceive a child. This one by far was the most impactful to me. C.S. Lewis said, "We read to know we are not alone." I very much felt that in these pages. The cover photo used to make me sob. I know the deep deep pain of grieving a child that never existed. I would wake up in the middle of the night in a cold terror sweat with nightmares of miscarriages and lost babies. I would wake up peacefully in the morning after having had a beautiful dream that I was pregnant to the harsh reality that it was only a dream and that now I would have to face another horrible day of poking and prodding at the clinic.
A friends sonogram picture innocently sent over email to announce their greatest news ever...that only took 2 months to happen, mind you... would send me to bed in another wave of grief. I didn't think I could take it anymore.
Infertility in many ways is a silent epidemic. If you are barren and are at a party and someone says, "When are you going to have children?"...you don't answer, "Well. We can't." Nobody wants to invite that friend to their baby shower.
Talk about a mood killer.
So we suffer in silence and we make excuses and we force a smile and say cute things like,
"When God makes it happen!"
But what if He never does?
That is the fear that is ever present in the mind of an infertile woman.
I had to explore that very question in my life 9 years ago.
What if He never does?
Does that make Him any less Good?
Does that make me any less of his cherished daughter?
Why me?
What have I done to be forsaken like this?
And the answers I always received in my darkest hours were a simple thought,
"Wait."
Not forever. Not for a pregnancy either.
Just wait.
So we did.
And look what happened 5 times in just 6 years.
He settles the barren woman in her home as the joyful mother of children. Praise the Lord!!
~ Psalm 113:9
My facebook status this morning says,


4 friends commented!:
Can I just say I LOVE your blog! It's so inspirational, encouraging, informative and overall just what I need to read most days you post. Thank you. Your family is beautiful and makes me smile. :)
This is a beautiful, real reflection . . . I did a talk about adoption at our church's moms' group two weeks ago, and used "beauty for ashes" to describe it too. The loss for my kids that brought them to me -- only God could turn that into something wonderful.
Nancy
Thank you, Elizabeth!! I am glad to know that my blog touches so many others. It makes all the pain of our journey worth it to know that others are brought comfort. The Bible says in 2 Cor. 1:4 "He who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are given by God."
AAAAAAAAMEN!
Post a Comment