Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Swimming Lessons

Last week Isaac finished his swimming lessons. Here he is with his little certificate and a lollipop. He did well. He was a bit wild in the water which is difficult for receiving instruction, but I was glad to see that he didn't mind going under.





3 friends commented!:

Brandi and Jeremy... said...

What fun! What age did you first start him? 3?
Just curious.
brandi

Anonymous said...

At 16 months we did a Mommy and Me class. He was going under water by that summer and jumping off the side to an adult(age 18-20 months). We could send him to each other and he would swim, but if we left him alone in deep water he would have not been able to get to the side. Last summer (age 2)he could jump off the diving board and swim to the side with a boost from one of us. This summer he had to get his water legs back because he has had a couple of scares in deep water. He does well with the noodle and can dive under with goggles on to get rings or sticks at the bottom of the steps. But he is still not confident in water he can't touch. He loves to go down water slides though and does well with all that. The main thing we never did and won't do with Vivi is to put them in water wings or a life jacket in a pool. They need to learn to swim without those devices. Our swim instructors have always told us that those things can make kids more fearful of going under and can delay actual swimming techniques.

Deb said...

You kids pic on the beach is in Adoptive Families!
I'm afraid to do swimming with Isabel but I imagine next summer we will. I'm glad you mentioned the tip on learning without the tools I never would have thought of that.