Pages

Friday, July 25, 2008

Pickles!!







My children have inherited my LOVE for dill pickles. Pickle might have been one of my first words and I'm sure I was eating them in the highchair! SO yesterday when we found some great looking Kirby cucumbers at a farmer's market, Isaac and I decided to make pickles. It was our first time trying this. He loved doing it! He was involved with every part of it, except the use of the knife-of course! As soon as he woke up this morning he asked me if the pickles were ready so they both got to eat one at 7 a.m. Hee! We are going to enjoy them with BBQ sandwiches and cole slaw tonight for dinner. yummy!

3 friends commented!:

Deb said...

Impressive! They look good.
Have fun tonight and enjoy your vacation next week.

Liz said...

i want your recipie- i am so wanting to do this- but i am intimidated
liz

Anonymous said...

Well- you may or may not want it. IT could be the cucumbers, but there is a strange after taste. So here is what I did per jar:

4 oz. distilled white vinegar
7 oz. water
(Bring to a boil with 1 packet Splenda)
Layer in the bottom of your jar diced onions and green pepper strips. Dice a garlic clove and add to the jar. Add a few sprigs of dill and sprinkle about a Tablespoon of salt over the vegetables. You can also do peppercorns and mustard seed -which I will try next time.
Slice your Kriby cucumbers and pack them in the jar tight. Pour the boiling liquid over them. Leave uncovered on the counter for about 15 minutes to cool. Cover and refridgerate for 12-24 hours before enjoying. They can be in the fridge without actually "canning" them for up to 3 weeks.