Pages

Friday, November 7, 2008

Tonsillectomy

Pre-surgery, we waited in our little spot and he watched Dora. He was quiet and nervous but we were still able to get a smile out of him!
After Surgery
( I couldn't resist taking a pic of his cute IV bandage!)
Isaac did really well! They wheeled him back without us and said he was shaking hands with the nurses and Dr's before they gave him the gas. After surgery, we heard him screaming in recovery and when they took us toward him he was bucking on the bed like a bull! The nurses were wide eyed and I assured them that this did not surprise me. He was just scared and he doesn't handle scared all that well.
They gave him this cute star stuffed animal with a blue cape, so I have been calling him Super Star. He was sad after surgery, but managed to drink 6 oz. of gatorade, so that was good. He has to have meds round the clock so we will be getting him up twice in the night.

Pray that he begins to eat tomorrow and that he can handle the pain meds. He said his tummy hurts. And if he comes off the pain med, his throat will hurt pretty bad too. So far he has had some applesauce and a few sips of a smoothie. He has been comfortable on the couch with DVD's. We have to get 50 oz. of liquid down him in the next 24 hours, so please pray for that as he does not want to eat or drink anything.


4 friends commented!:

Deb said...

Glad the surgery went well. He looks so sad in the after picture, but the star is cute.

I'll be praying. 50 oz sounds like a lot to take in.

Matt & Kristin said...

ahhh, that face in the last picture! Glad that everything went well. I'll be praying for you guys this week. Debbie is right, 50oz does sound like a ton to take in!

Laurie said...

Yes, it is alot! Especially when getting one sip in him is pulling teeth. As of 2:30 a.m., he has had 29.75 oz. So if we can keep up this pace, we will be doing good. He has been coughing up a lot of phlem so we haven't gotten much sleep (which explains why I am on the computer in the middle of the night). Isaac is watching Clifford.

Oh no- Vivi just toddled in here saying in a soft voice "hi". I guess I better go!

Gloria Furman said...

Gosh, I don't think I can even drink 50 oz that fast. We're asking for a quick recovery-- I'm sure y'all will make it a sweet memory for him. :)

Funny-- my word verification for this comment is "vocal"