But I have to say that there is something very special about our big dog, Lucy. Oh, she has quirks-just this morning I found a mangled bag of hamburger buns that once had been full... LUCY! And she snores and licks her paws so much that a lot of nights I don't sleep well. And one night a couple years ago she ate a raw chicken cordon bleu right off the baking sheet while the oven was preheating. She is a rotten dog, devouring half a tray of freshly baked cupcakes not that long ago, paper liners and all!
There are days like today, however, that I am so glad she is a part of this family. I had just stepped in the shower when I heard her warning bark. This told me someone was at our door. It was 6:30 in the morning and still dark outside. She was hysterical. By the time I'd gotten to the door she had scared the person off. The kids had been peacefully watching Barney and my heart was pounding thinking about what could have happened if one of the kids had tried to answer it. Lucy was blocking the door with her whole body so I'm not sure they would have been able to wedge in to reach the lock. Isaac confirmed someone had knocked. We don't know any of our neighbors well enough for them to come to our door that early, and they couldn't have needed me too badly or they would not have bolted so fast. I was so, so glad for my big scary dog. Her bark is a fierce one when she wants it to be. I double bolted the door and knew I could go back to my shower in peace knowing Lucy had it all under control. She has run off salesman before when we lived in the house and I was home alone. Thank you, Lucy. I know we are always safe with you.
Now if only she could catch mice...
Now if only she could catch mice...
Viv and Luc a year ago. Keeping a watchful eye.
0 friends commented!:
Post a Comment