We were not prepared for it to be that cold and only wore
fleece jackets instead of our big winter ones. Brrr...
All the bands played and danced at the same time, it was very entertaining.


As expected, much of the parade was focused on Obama.

The museum of natural history had this gorgeous elephant statue.
The museum of natural history had this gorgeous elephant statue.
This event had a lot of meaning for me this year as Isaac is starting to understand skin differences. The other day he was laying on the floor looking at his class photo and he said, "Mom, I am the only brown skinned kid and all the other kids are light. When you adopted me, you painted me brown but you were supposed to paint me light like you!" All the reading I've done telling me that transracially adopted kids go through this did not prepare me for looking into my own little one's brown eyes as he genuinly felt sad about being different. I explained that in his class is an asian girl and a girl with really blonde-white hair and a very small boy with severe food allergies. Doesn't he think they feel different from everyone else too? And that God makes every person unique from everyone else. But that all being said, I still worry for my little guy and his sense of self in this world as he grows up. In this particular class picture he is SO dark you can hardly make out his facial features- darn indoor lighting! It is our desire that his elementary school be more racially diverse than his preschools have been, and of course we hope to welcome more children into our family that share his skin color.
After the parade we went to the local McDonalds where he played with about 20 other black children of all ages. We were literally the only white people in the place the whole time we were there. He ran and laughed like he does with any kid anywhere, I don't even know if he noticed. But it made this Mama's heart very happy to see a rare moment where my boy just blended in.
***********************************************
Here is the old blog post where I write about MLK Jr.
January 2007
6 friends commented!:
Looks like a great parade. We'll have to plan on attending next year.
I've been reading I'm Chocolate You're Vanilla recently. It's interesting to learn how children begin to see skin color.
Such a mix of emotions hearing Isaac notice his different color.
Yes, we have that book and love it. It was a fun parade. We will remember to bundle up next year!
I'm sure we will have many, many more conversations with Isaac over the years about race and adoption. He even asked Billy about his "other Mommy- his words) last week! The conversations are short-lived because of his attention span and lack of full comprehension.
Hi there,
I'm a regular reader at your husband's blog. I thought about you guys when I came across this adoption agency that's pretty small, but in TX. http://www.livalt.org/loving.html
They have a sliding scale for fees based on income and a need for families interested in AA babies.
:)
We're applying too.
Well, we love our adoption agency and hope to go with them again down the road when we are able to adopt again. I have heard of Loving Alternatives, but I don't know much about them.
that is so cool! i'll have to look for a parade in my area next year. my son is adopted from foster care too. we're working on a second adoption now. we live in CT. your kids are beautiful and i love the article in Adoptive Families magazine. it inspired me to check out a new church in our area. thanks!
Thanks for sharing the pictures to the parade and visiting my blog today.
Wow, your son is growing up and asking questions. You are doing great with answering them and using discernment. It will be many more days like this, but you will be fine!
Just keep exposing him to activities as you are which will give him the best of both worlds as he experiences living in a transracial household as an AA male. These experiences make a difference when children can look back and see what they were taken to growing up. It shapes their lives.
I am sure that is going to get tough at times, but don't give up. You have a beautiful son and God will prepare you for everything else along this journey!
Kristy
Post a Comment