Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Infertility Grief

I have tried literally for months to compose this post, and even saved it as a draft- later to delete all of it. There never seemed to be a good time. Today Billy said "the great thing about you, is you put yourself out there. You take the hits." The truth is more like I put "out there" what I am okay with. Alot I tuck deep inside. Well, I remembered this post waiting for me to complete, and maybe now I could do it. I thought this would be about loss associated with barrenness, then I wasn't sure how I even felt about that. Wasn't sure I had the courage to write about that. SO I'll just write and see what comes of it.


For 5 years, this month I have been barren. Do you know this was always my greatest fear growing up? I shamelessly admit I played with baby dolls way too late into childhood and used to stuff my shirt with a pillow and look at myself in the mirror. It wasn't just something I wanted to be one day, it was THE thing I wanted to be one day. Well, that and of course a mother. I used to lie awake at night as a teenager and think "God will you allow me to be pregnant?" This was a strange thought as I never knew anyone who couldn't get pregnant. But somehow I wondered about myself.

I knew when we pursued adoption that our children would not replace the children we couldn't have. I also knew they would feel and be my real children, just like any I gave birth to- because ultimately it doesn't matter how you become a mother or how a child comes into the world. What matters is that you are. And this all came true for me.

What I didn't expect was the feeling of grief and loss to stay with me for so long. At times the sadness threatens to choke me. Over the years I have dabbled in counseling and anti-depressants, never really achieving long term success with either. I recently made a call to a women's hospital that does weekly group counseling for Depression. They said one group was for general depression and the other for grief and loss. I said I'm not sure which one I would be in. She said "well the grief and loss one is right now women who have recently lossed a baby." I said, well that's not me. But I'm not so sure. Is it? I mean am I "generally depressed"...like with everyday happenings. No, not really. But often times I feel gloomy, my mind wanders, I feel stuck.I feel like I've lost something.

I haven't followed up with the clinic.

You see the thing is, I don't have a desire to have a biological child. Doesn't mean much to me now. But I am also not so sure I want to go my whole life without knowing what it feels like to have a life inside of me. To bring life into the world. I know it's not an easy road. My dear friend has had the worst pregnancy EVER! But in the end she still can say this child came from her. I think this may just be the stage I'm in now. Everyone continues to be pregnant. In 10 more years, my peers will have all had their children and we will all just be Moms. Most days I understand this is my calling, that I wouldn't have my son and daughter any other way. Some days, it doesn't feel as much like a calling as it does a curse, one that I do not understand.


I have asked the "why me" question over and over and recently I began to hear a gentle whisper of "why not me?" Why should I not suffer? Why should I not be afflicted? Everyone you meet has a heartache of some kind. And this just happens to be mine. I fear it will always be with me in some way. Pregnancy mystifies and perplexes me. It feels foreign. The Bible says that the Lord closed Hannah's womb. And He has chosen to close mine. Not because of anything I did or didn't do, but because He is sovereign over ALL creation.


Today at church, we looked over the verses in 2 Corinthians 1:3-9 where it says that the Lord "comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." It goes on to say "but this happened so that we may not rely on ourselves but God." To humble us. It also says to bring about "patient endurance". Endurance in ALL suffering. The many blessings that have come of my infertility have been first and foremost my children. But also, the ability to mourn deeply for others. For those who have lost a child, or lost the ability to have a child. I don't want to hide from grief, in myself or others. I want to turn to it, to embrace it. To drink deeply of it. For I know that where there is grief, there is the Lord's comfort. And this is the place that the people of God should be. And maybe there someday, I too, will find healing for the broken pieces of my heart.

10 friends commented!:

HappyAutisticMama said...

I hear you! I hope to be able to write a more eloquent comment later, but I wanted to thank you for writing this, and leaving a comment on my blog telling me about it.

I'm seeing a fertility doctor again, and I have mixed feelings about it. I, too, feel like pregnancy is foreign, and I want to know what it is like to carry life.

Unknown said...

Excellent post. A great way to work through your thoughts and feelings and gives hope to others who are experiencing the same thing to know that they are not alone.

I well remember those feelings of despair and depression. They were quelled for a short time after we adopted Peter, but I was completely unprepared for the return of those feelings when we were trying to adopt a second time.

For me (and only for me, don't think you have to feel this way), the issues surrounding infertility went away when Caroline completed our family and we knew we were done. I only ever wanted 2 children and did not feel complete until that desire was fulfilled. I think the fact that I was 42 when Caroline came home certainly helped.

I have been able to be counsel and a shoulder to cry on for those who are now experiencing infertility and loss. I have been able to pray for people, listen without saying one word, and been able to be a living testimony of the wonder of adoption. Never a ministry I would have expected, but I have made myself available to that which God uses me.

Elizabeth said...

Laurie, you have been a constance source of strength and encouragement to me while I was struggling with infertility. You were one of the first people I wanted to let know God had blessed us with a child because I felt that you cried with me every time we talked or emailed. God has used you in so many ways to challenge me and grow me in my walk with him. Thank you for your honesty and friendship. Thank you for being a friend who will cry with me and laugh with me! You are amazing!

Laurie said...

Thank you ladies for your kind words!

For us, going back down the trying-to-conceive road is not one we care to travel again. We closed that door 3 years ago, and are thankful it is closed.

The effects of feeling a bit left behind in a constant onslaught of pregnant moms is one that will just have to run it's course, I suppose.

I am thankful that I can use my experiences to be an encouragement to others in their trials.

Deb said...

Your mention of 'Why not me?' really got me thinking about nearly 20 years ago my offhand comment to a friend that I wanted to adopt one day. I then only knew of one family that had adopted and all I wanted was to be a mother when I grew up and after hearing my friend tell me about the after birth of her sister (12 & newborn) I decided I'd only be able to endure that pain once. :-)

But thinking about your comment it makes me wonder if God didn't plan from that moment for us to never become pregnant because He knew we were willing and able to adopt.
While it would give me great joy to feel my baby kick inside me I get so much joy when Isabel wraps her arms around my neck I rarely think about it unless it's triggered by some pregnant friend or a comment.

I was just feeling the other day while I was with a bunch of moms that I just didn't fit in because I couldn't share my pregnancy and birth stories but you're right, in 10-15 years that won't matter anyhow.
Thanks for being open and honest.

Sunny said...

yes. yes. yes. You spoke to my heart with this post. I never thought the mourning of infertility would resurface AFTER our adoption was complete. But, it crept back...it's a pain that will always be there and adoption doesn't solve infertility. Adoption is an incredible gift from God and I ADORE my son, but we will always be kindered spirits - those of us who know what the loss feels like. May God bless you as you continue your journey.

Elise said...

Laurie,
I've been following your blog for a while- your kids are so cute!- but I especially feel compelled to comment on your post today. My husband and I have not yet started our first adoption process and most of my friends are still unmarried though we both have several cousins who are recently married and are starting their families. So, I feel that we are on the beginning end of many years of pregnancy/birth stories and while most of the time, I am really excited about adoption, I am occasionally blind-sided by the grief that I first felt 6 years ago when I found out as a teenager that I would not be able to conceive a child (long before I ever even wanted to try!). Thank you for your open, honest, and encouraging post. I hope that because of our situation, I will able to be that understanding, compassionate friend if anyone in my life struggles with infertility!

Brandi and Jeremy... said...

Laurie,
what a honest, heartfelt post. Thanks for sharing your heart and emotions with us. I love you dearly.

Kelly Rae said...

Thank you for your post. It does the soul good to hear your vulnerability and honesty. It's amazing how our unanswered questions can cause us to compare, feel less than, and even question God knowing full well that He is good and trustworthy. That is what I constantly have to remind myself of. He IS good. I CAN trust Him. The questions will simply always be there. Why did my children not survive in the womb? Why does it seem so easy for everyone else to get pregnant? Why are people so insensitive? The list could go on and on. They will simply be there as I walk this road called life. I cling to the hope of knowing that one day He will dry every tear and this world will be but a vapor. In the meantime, I cherish friendships and relationships that are developed because of the road I've traveled. They are precious and we can continually remind each other that we are not alone. And I cherish the family that I have because of the journey He took me on!

Brooke said...

Laurie, as an adopted person I appreciate this post so much! I appreciate that my mom felt as you do and that my parents don't view me any differently than if I was "theirs." Your children will love and appreciate you for it! Love ya!