Awhile ago, I worked on a series of posts on the topic of Transracial Adoption. It is always on the forefront of my mind as our family cannot just blend in when we go out and about. I have recently been diving into a great blog written by John Raible, a biracial adoptee and fellow adoptive dad who has a series he has done called "Crash Course in Transracial Parenting." It is greatness. Here is the opening line to the series:
"Obtain a kid from overseas recently? Or still fantasizing about rescuing somebody's orphan? Perhaps you are in the process of saving one of those less expensive kids from foster care? Slow down, Partner!"
Ouch.
That is harsh, isn't it? But I think it is this kind of honest reflection and bluntness that is SO needed in today's adoption culture. He says that we are to be "allies in the joint struggle against racism and adoption reform." You have got to read his blog, watch the documentaries he recommends and has participated in (Especially First Person Plural...so eye opening), and begin to talk about these issues before you just jump right in to wanting to adopt one of those adorable chocolate colored kids. There is so much more to it...especially for those of you with one or more biological children who are caucasian. It is not enough to say love is all they need. Because it is not. Read my series linked at the top...but more importantly go read John's. His perspective is of one who has been there.
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 friends commented!:
Kevin, another blog I follow along with the one you mentioned, just did a post about how to put the Cultural Connection Plan into action along the same lines as the crash course I believe.
http://mymindonpaper.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/intentional-relationships-lead-to-vital-connections/
Transracial adoption is not for everyone. I sometimes wonder if we were prepared enough. But we continue to learn from these men and others.
Post a Comment