Friday, August 27, 2010
Good grief
That is the title to my post because that has been the last two weeks for me. In the spirit of keeping-it-real around here, I thought I would share my frustrations, as I know many of you feel my pain. In the past two weeks, these events have gone down in no particular order. Isaac's meet the teacher (on my b-day) happened to be an absolute nightmare! First the school shuttled us into the cafeteria for the principal to lecture us about how school starts at 7:50, not 7:51...not 7:55....7:50. Okay. Got it. Then they herded all the kindergartners and posse in tow down a very hot and narrow hallway into the gym where there were only seats for about 1/4 of the crowd. There we had to sit through a painful slideshow of everything they want us parents to know about kindergarten. This was with crying babies and restless toddlers running around. Then if that wasn't bad, we all at the same time...keep in mind there are about 100 students x 2 parents and multiple siblings each...are flooded into the kindergarten corridor and into the tiny classrooms. It was so crowded that we had to wait 20 minutes for our turn in line to meet the teacher. Meanwhile, Isaac is showing off and acting out. So much for first impressions. Billy and I were fit to be tied leaving there. Thankfully, the first week of school has gone well and he has gotten great reports home. Vivi's meet the teacher last night was similar in aggravation and crowding, along with a 45 minute parent meeting where we were lectured that our children cannot come to school if they have had a fever in the past 24 hours. So if they had a fever yesterday at noon, they cannot come today. Please raise your hands if you heard me. OK. Got it. And you cannot be "friends" with your child's teacher on facebook. It is a liability. Ok. Got it. And of course after all that I have no pictures of her meet the teacher either. Amongst all of this aggravation, my A/C went out in the van for the 2nd time this summer while stuck in the carpool lane on a 107 degree afternoon, J has a raging cold again, after only about a 5 day reprieve from that last one, Vivi got gum in her hair that was not easy to get out resulting in me having a mini breakdown in Old Navy on the busiest clothing shopping day of the year, and Vivi locked Lucy into our bedroom...taking us hours and a call to the police station at 9 p.m. to get it unlocked. Thankfully Billy was able to use pliers to pry open the handle before the cop got here. So now we need a new bedroom doorknob. OH...and I got a call from J's dentist office saying they did not have him on the schedule for surgery. What?! That should have been taken care of 3 weeks ago. Thankfully I was able to clear that up and still get him in for his fillings on the 23rd of next month. Whew!! I am exhausted having to relive all of that. But I thought just in case you read this blog and think things are just peaches and cream over here all the time...um....no. Today we have ECI and tomorrow J's new CASA worker is coming over to meet him and us. SO amongst my normal cleaning and shopping and laundry that has to get done on the weekends, I have that to fit in. But I am not complaining...this is the life I chose. I get it. Doesn't mean it isn't mind numbing at times. As I type this, J and Vivi are in a very sweet hug with smiles on the couch. This is a child who shows little affection, so it warms my Mama heart to see him loving on his sister. Now they are laying down watching PBS kids and she is holding him! Awwww. What a blessing these two are to each other. Tomorrow night, I will be blessed when my dear friend, Jen picks me up for Cheesecake Factory. So maybe I will have some reprieve from the chaos that is my life, afterall!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 friends commented!:
Good grief, indeed! Wow! This calls for cherry choc chip ice cream. With extra marshmallows!
It's like they think you're the kids and don't know what you're doing. Seesh! Glad at least the start of school is behind you.
Sorry to hear J's sick again.
Enjoy your cheesecake and a night out.
Completely forgot to say how wonderful it is that he's showing affection with Vivi. That's a big step in showing it with all of you.
Have a big piece of cheesecake tonight! You deserve it!
I'm thinking Godiva chocolate cheesecake! Enjoy your night at the Cheesecake Factory!
Good grief is right!
Hang in there...this, too, shall pass. And sorry about the back to school stuff - one more reason I'm glad I'm not teaching this year.
Sorry J is sick, but it's great to hear about his progress!
My word verification is laying. As in, I hope you are laying down and getting some rest tonight!!
Hugs!!
Wow, LOTS going on! I teach school and dread (well, maybe that is too strong of a word - but something close to that would work!) meeting my daughter's teachers while hoping and praying they 'get' her unique needs. I hope you were able to get some ME time after dealing with all of this! :) (I'm new to your blog, but I am hooked! -- I can SO relate to what you write!)
sorry to hear you had such a rough week, but thank you for keeping it real!!! parenthood isn't glamorous but you are impacting 3 children in amazing and wonderful ways they will treasure for a lifetime!
Post a Comment