I went to my ENT yesterday. He was very nice and thorough. The first thing he asked was if I had a high salt diet because that can bring on bouts of acute vertigo. The funny thing is, the weeks leading up to my first incident last Monday, I did! Remember, I had a period that was lasting more than a month and as is typical of "that time of the month" for me, I was craving salt in a big way. Only instead of the normal 4 -6 days of cravings, I had 50 days of cravings because of the extended cycle. So, he has me cutting WAY back on my salt intake. He prescribed steroids and a nasal spray. He did a hearing check and check of my middle ear and said my ears are clear, so the pressure I feel in my head is coming from my frontal lobe/sinuses. He wants me to try the medicine and the meclizine as needed, and come back in 6 weeks or less if the vertigo comes back. So we will see! I will be taking on some lifestyle changes that are long overdue. So, I feel a bit overwhelmed by it all. But I also feel hopeful that I will be able to change some things about my eating and exercise habits and thereby get myself off many or all of the medications for various illnesses I have had to get on this month. I think these changes could help my female organs to function more properly, hopefully clear my head and body from the vertigo and headaches, and help me to kick these bouts of depression that have set in since being sick for 2 months. So I will let ya'll know how it goes!! I know I will need the encouragement along the way, for sure. :)
I plan to get back to my regular blogging program around here and stop talking about sickness so much! Of course we will have J's posts next week when we go into the hospital to get his tonsils out. But after that...we are moving forward into the spring with positive thoughts and restored hope for the future!!
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 friends commented!:
My Mom has Meneire's disease-which causes vertigo-she is not allowed salt and caffeine...and not even the slight amount of caffeine in chocolate. She still eats chocolate every so often (because who can live without any chocolate ever)-and says she can feel the difference it makes.
My husband had a bought of vertigo this past summer-fall. He could not look at the computer at all-and could barely watch TV. He would get vertigo and feel "car-sick". He failed the vomit-chair at the ENT (I'm sure it has a much more scientific name) and had what was finally dx as visual dizziness. In the end we *think* it was a lesser known and very rare side effect of a medication (Wellbutrin) he was on-he stopped taking it and took some meclizine for awhile at the visual dizziness went away. But his doc warned it could come back because Vis. Diz it can be cyclic-and the medication may have been coincidental. Good Luck-ears can be so fickle!!
Love the new blog look!
Hoping these changes bring positive outcome! Glad he seems very thorough in his evaluation!
You might also consider going to get tested for allergies. (where they prick your skin) That might also be a factor.
My mom has that same disease and it is genetic. The Dr. said I fit the profile on 2 of the 4 main symptoms for Meneire's so it is likely that will be an issue for me. He feels that I will respond well to his treatment plan because of that.
I have had motion sickness since I was a toddler, so I know dizziness and nausea well!!
I'm so glad you got at least SOME answers. I know you are so concerned about being there for your kiddos. I hope this next week you feel a HUGE difference.
Blessings!
Hannah
Praise the Lord the doc was able to tell you something, and it actually fit with what you were seeing/doing! So glad things are looking up from here.
I have Meniere's disease but didn't comment earlier because I didn't want to scare you!! haha Mine has been inactive for years now, but I well know your misery. I had constant vertigo for over three years and didn't drive for a long time. Cutting back on salt and processed foods really makes a difference for me. And the symptoms, though mild now, still tend to tease me when I'm retaining fluid at 'that time of the month.' Here's hoping the changes prescribed take care of it for you and you get better immediately. Thinking of you!
Hope the new plan is working well for you.
I have a high salt intake. Never realized it caused vertigo, I'll be changing that now.
Post a Comment