Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Daughters


Once upon a time I had a different brown skinned baby girl. She and Isaac were just 18 months apart. CPS gave her to us as an adoptive placement-parental rights had been terminated. We named her Olivia and brought her home. We had a party for her, we sent out birth announcements. Long story short, CPS took her away from us abruptly, gave her to another foster mother, and the drama that ensued left me scarred and traumatized for a long, long time.

I wondered why God had brought her at all if he was going to just take her away. I wondered why we had to struggle so hard to be parents when others were gifted with it so effortlessly.
6 months later, I understood why. Our real daughter had already been conceived.
Had Olivia not come and been taken in such a horrific way, we would have not left foster care adoption to pursue domestic infant adoption.

And our Vivianna would not be ours.

But this was not to be God's plan. His plan was for us to be in the room when our daughter entered this world. His plan was for me to be the first one to hold her.
His plan was that this daughter would stay.
And she did.


All of my children have redeemed part of our journey for me.
This certainly was not their job to do as they came into our family, but it happened nonetheless.

Isaac redeemed my ache to be a mother. An ache that started from the time I was old enough to know that women had babies of their very own. He wasn't really a baby anymore, but he needed a mother very very much. And I so desperately needed a son. A perfect fit.

Vivianna redeemed my deep desire to have a baby that was mine from birth. A baby whose very life began in our heart and home. A sweet bundle of pink baby girl that I thought I had had to say goodbye to. She had such spark and life to her. She still does.

J redeemed in many ways my barrenness. In his homecoming I came to terms with God that this was the way our family was to be. Our cup runneth over in beautiful colors of children that I could have never given birth to. That deep desire to be pregnant that I thought would always be a part of me quickly and surprisingly left as our family has grown. We now have quite too many children for a pregnancy to be the blessing it once would have been. :)

And Jasmine. Jasmine has redeemed my loss. Billy pointed out that Jasmine has dragged up "Olivia anxiety" in a way that Vivi did not. I suppose it is because Jasmine is a brown skinned baby girl. I suppose I had given up the thought that would ever happen again. I know I worry more about this baby. Is she breathing? Will she survive the SIDS window? Will I make all the right decisions for her care all the time? Will she love me? Olivia cried a lot. I was not her mother. She missed her foster mother she had been with since birth. And she was not going to so quickly be replaced. But Jasmine lights up when she sees me. She smiles at me even if I am just shifting her from the changing table to the swing. If she is in a rage she stops crying the second I pick her up. She nuzzles into me and relaxes. She is mine. And I am hers. Beautiful redemption.

And despite the worry and fear that threatens to creep up...I am putting my trust in the Lord that He has given us this baby girl to keep for all the days of her life.

8 friends commented!:

Deb said...

I'm in tears. Knowing how hard Olivia's departure was on you and knowing just how far you've come. Watching you bring your youngest two home has been amazing for me. I'm so glad that with each child entering your life God has used them to heal a different part of your past hurt.

~M~ said...

Reading about your Olivia brought back a flood of memories about another little brown-skinned baby named Olivia who we had to say goodbye to... you can read about it
here, in my blog A Whole Lot Of Hope

I'm so glad you have such a beautiful family, but I know the pain of saying goodbye never goes away entirely.

Jenn and Joe said...

Wonderful post! My husband and I are feeling some of the feelings you talked about! My sister-in-law had a baby on Monday, my sister is due this weekend, and another sister just told us she is going to be having a baby. The sting still hits us hard, but we hope to be in a place like you soon! Again, I really love this post!

paigescrib. said...

Yoou are a gorgeous mother inside and out, and my second mom so you technichally have 6 kids(: holy moly, i love you so very much and always will, no matter how long were apart.
I'm so proud of you and B.
maybe viv and jasmine will be my flower girls! ;)

Leveta said...

Laurie:
She and all your children are absolutely beautiful and I can certainly understand all those thoughts and fears you have. God gives us such perfect and wonderful gifts.
Leveta

Blessed By Infertility said...

Thank you. I needed that. God just spoke right to my heart through your words. It's been a rough day with a failed procedure this morning. Thank you for allowing God to use you. You have blessed my life today and through your words I now know what God is whispering to my heart. Thank you again.
Love and prayers,
Rebekah

Laura said...

To echo the above sentiments, thank you for sharing. It's been a little over a year now, and we're still awaiting the arrival of our first little one through domestic infant adoption. In the course of our wait, at least a dozen couples that we know have gotten pregnant and given birth. It hurts, and it feels like God has forgotten us. So thank you for your words of hope & encouragement. Some days it's hard to remember that He is actively working on our family's story & has much more in store for us than I could ever imagine. And His plans are perfect. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Though I don't know the feeling of ever trying to conceive, but I know the fear of being given the gift of a beautiful child and them taken away. My husband and I are waiting for a child through the system, and that is our fear. We both have bad genetics that do not allow us to ever have a healthy child, so we always knew adoption was our route. Your blog is so much fun to read and times like today so inspiring. Thanks for sharing your everyday gifts.