The weather here as been in the high 60's and 70's. Beautiful!!
Normally, I would scoff at February weather of this caliber, but being cooped up in a house with 4 kids is not my idea of a fun winter experience. Plus, I have been making spring plans like T-Ball for Jayden and hotel reservations for a road trip during Spring Break...so I am welcoming the feeling of spring even if it is a whole month early!
Plus, Isaac's wildness is much more contained when he can get some good exercise in, so I have been trying to make an effort to take advantage of the great weather.
Normally, I would scoff at February weather of this caliber, but being cooped up in a house with 4 kids is not my idea of a fun winter experience. Plus, I have been making spring plans like T-Ball for Jayden and hotel reservations for a road trip during Spring Break...so I am welcoming the feeling of spring even if it is a whole month early!
Plus, Isaac's wildness is much more contained when he can get some good exercise in, so I have been trying to make an effort to take advantage of the great weather.
So anytime a bike ride is on the schedule, it is very well received by all. :)
Jasmine always gets teary eyes in the cold.
That made me happy, hoping that we might have made her feel a little less alone in this world.
Then yesterday I drove into a nearby town to visit a different park. An African American family came up with their four kids, and I will admit they looked a little rough around the edges. The dad had huge tattoos all over his arms and was dressed in a giant basketball jersey. The boys had their heads shaved into an interesting style. I just smiled politely when they passed. I felt real bad and embarrassed that I had prejudged them when later Isaac (0f course!) strikes up a friendship with their boys. The dad came over to where I was and said, "you have a beautiful baby." And that was all it took for us to all get to talking! He shared that they had moved from Dallas where it was nothing but police sirens all the time. He said, "its quiet here in the suburbs. We like it a lot better." Then he opened up about his childhood in Chicago and the gang violence there, which he said killed more people one summer than troops had died in Iraq. When they left the park, it was like we were long lost friends! I prayed to myself, "Thank you God for giving me these opportunities that I would not have had otherwise had my kids looked just like me. Thank you for using these experiences to knock away at my own stereotypes and judgements of people."
My kids are my very own, even if they didn't come out of my body.
But they aren't really mine.
They are God's children whose lives will be used in mighty ways.
As a testimony to the unconditional acceptance and love that comes only through Christ.
I feel beyond privileged to be able to have this role this side of Heaven, in their life journey.
My kids are my very own, even if they didn't come out of my body.
But they aren't really mine.
They are God's children whose lives will be used in mighty ways.
As a testimony to the unconditional acceptance and love that comes only through Christ.
I feel beyond privileged to be able to have this role this side of Heaven, in their life journey.
5 friends commented!:
Love this post. Is so nice to hear that you get so many opportunities that you wouldn't have had with strangers now than you would of with biological children. Its a great contrast to all of those stories that most people have about uninhibited strangers asking about how much your children cost and where were their "real" parents.
Wow, great stories laurie! We have been enjoying the weather too...lots of sidewalk chalk, bubbles and bike riding going on in McKinney :]
I love how God lets us experience things we would hvae shyed away from ourselves. And you do a great job on Jasmine's hair.
this post is so beautiful and encouraging! thank you for sharing!!
these are my favorite type's of posts!
Post a Comment