Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Party Decor Preview With A Paper Bag Pinata!!

If you are like me, you desire to have a pinata at your kids' parties (especially if your child is part Latina), but you don't want to have to spend $10-$20 for something they are going to bust open plus an additional $10-$15 on enough candy to fill it, bringing your grand pinata total to more than $30. I don't buy cakes that cost that much. Plus, it can be tricky to find a pinata to go with your theme! Well...we are BOTH in luck, cause I found a tutorial for a Paper Bag Pinata on the blog, Dollar Store Crafts.

I was so excited to put this one together for a TOTAL (with candy) of $10.00!

And here is how:First, I purchased crepe streamers to go with our party color scheme.

Start with a grocery store brown paper bag and cut a little out of the sides.
Fill it with a variety of candy. I chose 5 bags from Dollar Tree.

Have your handy dandy party child hold a hanger in place, while you tape both of the longer sides around the hanger with packing tape.

Then, fringe your crepe paper...I stacked several layers before cutting to save time.
Begin to hot glue the strips on top of one another starting at the bottom of the bag.
Until you have completed the front, back, and both sides..
At that point use a finger to "fluff" all the fringe up.
When it is complete you can either Cricut a cutout for the front, if your child has a Grandma with a giant scrapbook room...OR download a picture off the internet and frame it with ruffled crepe paper as the above blogger chose to do.

I also made 12 matching party hats with some kitties my Mom scrapped up for each one!These were done with two packages of 8 dollar store hats, scrapbook paper cut with one of the hats as a template, 2 fur boas cut to fit and hot glued in place. And to finish it off a 99 cent package of pom poms glued to the tops!


The rest of the decor reveal will have to wait until after the 10th when I post the party pictures.

3 friends commented!:

Deb said...

Fantastic idea! And it looks so cute. You'll have to let us know how it takes the hits on party day.

Anonymous said...

Love this idea. I agree that we need an update of how it works on the day. I might use this idea for cinco de mayo. Cant wait to see the whole party!

Kelly L said...

I love this!!! Great Job!! :)