Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

Sick of Being Sick

I go through bouts every once in awhile of seriously feeling sorry for myself. 

I am currently in one of those.

My health issues have flared up involving my reproductive system, again. 
I won't get into the nitty gritty details for those male readers out there, but I will share that I once again have to have surgery.
The amount of estrogen the Dr. put me on alarmed the pharmacist so much that he didn't want to prescribe it to me. 
I am taking 8 pills a day and my body feels like it was run over by a truck. My emotions are on a ridiculous roller coaster ride, one minute making me all sappy and sentimental and the next all angry and ticked off at the world.

But mostly I feel sad.
Sad that my body is always all kinds of screwed up.
Sad that once again I had to go through another sonogram where my empty womb was displayed on a big screen this time. 

The sonographer said, "have you had any children?"
I said, "yes. I have five. But no pregnancies."
"That is what I meant," she replied with an arrogant tone.

Well then you should have said so... 

Go ahead and mark me once again with the scarlet letter:
I

~Infertile~ 

The definition of  "infertile" and "barren" are:
"not producing or incapable of producing offspring; sterile: a barren woman.
2. unproductive; unfruitful"

Really? Am I unproductive and unfruitful?

Most women cry during a sonogram because they get to see this:

I cry because all I have ever seen is this:
Only this time there were little polyps to be measured and soon removed. 

Thrillsville.

It is getting old, people.
I am at the point where I am like: "take it all!"
What good has any of my eggs or ovaries done for me anyway?
Nothing but loss.

I am grateful for good friends and an attentive mother-in-law who listen to me rant and wail. But I am also grateful to a God who makes each day a new one. A new day of LIFE to be lived, regardless of how I feel.

Isaac was crying the other night to sleep and I went in to check on him. He said, "Mom. I'm sorry you are sick."

I said, "I'm sorry I'm sick too buddy. But you know what?  If Mommy's womb was healthy and could produce babies, I would not have you as my son. So even though I hate being sick, I can thank God for giving me this broken part of my body...so I can have the very children I was always meant to have."

He smiled and nodded. I kissed him and I went to bed that night with a lighter heart.

My five children make it all worth it. 

Sometimes I am still mad at my suffering.
But I know that Christ suffered far more.

Sometimes I am still sad at my brokenness.
But I know that this broken road led my family home.

And I often lament the pain and loss my friends have been on in their journey to parenthood. It just seems unfair.

But I know that this is not the end for any of us.
This is not where we belong. 
One day we will all be Home, far from pain and tears and cramps and bleeding and barrenness and miscarriages and still born babies and doctors and medicine and surgeries and loss and grief.

We will be Home where peace like a river will cover all of our earthly wounds.

Truly healed.

15 friends commented!:

Kimberly said...

I'm crying Laurie...I'm at a loss for words. I love you friend.

Comforting Grace said...

Your words spoke to my heart. I feel your pain Laurie. Blessings to you.

Becky said...

I love your response to the sonographer. Insensitive jerk. I, too, wonder if sometimes things might be easier if they just took all those broken parts out. I'd guess a whole new set of problems would pop up, but at least I wouldn't be left with the slightest of tiny possibilities. ((hugs))

FootPrints said...

i wish i could give you a big hug because you need one. feel your pain. dont worry about what anyone else thinks. this is your journey, not theirs.
surrender this hurt. your hurt to him. give it all to him.

CarrieT said...

Sending hugs to you. I have experienced many of the delightful vag. ultrasounds just to look for what was not there too. The farthest I got was counting the ovaries that LOOKED good! ?!?!?! But, like you, I have children through adoption now too (4). Keep asserting yourself even to those techs and doctors by clearly stating "why, yes! I have 4 (or in your case 5) children! But if you mean how many pregnancies have I had, then please ask that!" Grrr!

Carrie T.

Peter and Nancy said...

Seconding what Carrie said about *politely* informing your doctors about asking about *pregnancies.* (Having a few hormonal issues myself right at the moment!)

I just loved your words for your son . . . I've had the same kind of conversation with my daughter, though about different medical issues. God specializes in redemption, and the biggest evidence of that is the enormous blessings of our children.
Nancy

Leveta said...

Laurie
My heart aches for you. I am so sorry you are not feeling well and are in pain.I will pray for complete healing. It is so hard to understand the plans of God but isn't it comforting to know that as the song says "it will be worth it all when we see Jesus" Can you email me personally at rayswithhim@centurytel.net
Thanks,Leveta --wife to Carl,mom to Chad 19 (bio) Sam 16 and Kaitrin 13 both from India through Dillon International

Unknown said...

I am so sorry Laurie. Praying for you to have a safe surgery with a fast recovery! :( I had someone ask me last week how I delt with being unable to have children and I told them I remember coming across THIS blog years ago and read where you had wrote you were blessed by infertility and those words made me realize just how blessed I am.

Angela said...

What an insensitive thing for the sonogram technician to say! You would think they would learn to be more sensitive in that line of work ....

You have my sympathy; your hurt is just as real as the more obvious pain of starving children. I am sorry that you have to go through this, but it warms my heart that even in your pain you are still pointing others to Jesus.

Unknown said...

Laurie :( keeping you in prayer.

Amber said...

I know this probably wasn't your favorite post to write, but I'm so glad that you did! I needed to read this. This year has held a whirlwind of miscarriage, cysts, and surgeries. That old familiar pain is back, and I know it's about time for me to go sit in a waiting room full of pregnant women and then look at my empty sonogram picture again. I thought I would share a verse I found a few weeks ago though. It's kinda been my mantra lately. I'm learning how to sing even when it's hard.

“Sing, barren woman,
you who never bore a child;
burst into song, shout for joy,
you who were never in labor;
because more are the children of the desolate woman than of her who has a husband,” says the Lord.

Isaiah 54:1

MommaLlama said...

Laurie, I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. I, too, go through these seasons with my own body and hormonal/emotional breakdowns; even questioning my own womanhood in light of my broken body.

We are called to unite our sufferings with that of Our Lord in his Passion... and we can offer up those sufferings for others like our children. That gives me some solace, in those dark times... and it brings back to the forefront my children's loss and suffering.

Anyway, you will continue to be in our prayers. I hope you have speedy recovery!

Julie said...

Well said. MY thoughts too!

Hannah_Rae said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I feel like I could have written it. It makes me feel not so weird for the mourning I still experience. I love my babies. I love the journey we have been on...but it's not easy.

Love you, friend. So glad we are on this journey together.

Blessings!

Hannah

Deb said...

I want them to take it all from me as well and I don't even have the extra health issues you do. It's a broken part of me and a constant reminder of what I can't do. But if not for that... well you said it well and I always lack the words. :-)

Praying that this next surgery will help heal what's wrong. That the meds will even out to give you rest from the emotional roller coaster.