Today is my son's birthday. We have celebrated 7 of his special days with him and the years have really started to pick up speed. He was the child who made me a mother. He was the boy we prayed for when we began our foster to adopt journey. He came home and lit up our world with laughter and joy. He was a handful from the age of 2-6. Rough years with our impulsive child who bounced off the walls and ran his mouth a mile a minute.
Loudly.
Where ever we went.
He would say things without thinking them through that would make us cringe and send the blood boiling to our faces.
But this past year, Isaac William has hit a stride. It has been our best year yet with him. 8 years old looked real good on this child, and I have high hopes his 9th year on this earth will be even better. He has become easier to parent as his character develops. He is polite and kind. He thinks of others.
He has a deep sense of morality with the remorse and regret that I prayed the Lord would give him to ward of the natural trouble boys can find themselves in.
This year he has played baseball, been in a summer musical, joined student council and was selected as a member of Circle of Friends to shadow a classmate with special learning needs.
He is known well amongst his classmates and church families.
He is trusted and respected and loved.
He said to me the other day on the way home from school, "Mom...when you told me that my behavior reflects the whole family and represents you...it really made me think and change my ways. So thank you, Mom."
I smiled and laughed at his mature statement. I told him I was happy that I have had an impact on his choices and that I love him very much.
He has made my mama heart beat fast with pride welling up for the boy that I have always believed would make a mark in this world.
I can hardly believe the time that has passed.
So a very Happy Birthday to my first son.
And thank you to the woman who made a choice to give him life, despite the odds against her and a society that scoffs at one more baby born on welfare.
Mostly....Thank you, God for choosing and entrusting us to raise this boy into adulthood and for bringing him safely home where he belongs.


3 friends commented!:
Happy birthday Isaac! We love you from Kansas city!
What an awesome thing for him to say to you, wonderful lesson learned well.
Can't believe how much he has grown, don't think I've seen a picture of him in a long time.
Happy Birthday Issac!
Great post! Such a happy boy, and he sure loves his mom...
Post a Comment