Along with asking every day if we are going to the big airport to go to "Ha-why", Isaac has been a bit preoccupied with wanting to know if it is Christmas yet. The day we decorated the tree he went up to a kid at the library and said "today is Christmas" and the little boy said, "it's not Christmas! It's just a windy day." :)
Well, both Boz and I have been teaching Isaac that Christmas is Jesus' Birthday. This goes really well with our obesession with birthdays this year. So now Isaac says we will bake a big cake and it will be Jesus' birthday party and there will be lots of presents. Sounds like a great Christmas to me! So this is a great age because I have been able to buy ALL of his gifts with him standing right next to me at the cash register. I call it the age of oblivion. We buy stuff and by the time we get home and I hide it in the closet, he forgets we ever bought it in the first place! Or I have been able to put them in the bottom of the cart without him even seeing them. And I know a month from now when he opens them, he will not remember they came from Target! :)
So this brings me to my next point (can you tell I am procrastinating from packing/ cleaning?)
What do Christian families do with the idea of Santa Clause? Well...to me, every family has to come to their own conclusions about this (much like Halloween). And for us, we never made a decision on this until we actually have kids now and can see it is so not a big deal. Isaac could care less about Santa. We stop by his house at the mall and peek inside and I say "shhh..Santa is sleeping" (We shop early in the morning!) and that is pretty much it. We will have their pics taken with the big guy, but as far as presents are concerned, the kids will always know they came from Mommy and Daddy. The element of surprise and excitement is coming out Christmas morning and seeing them arranged under the tree, so every year we will bring them out on Christmas Eve, but no....no magical man will be coming down our chimney, this year or any year. A real man came on Christmas day, long, long ago. God Himself, humbled in the form of a little baby. And this is what we celebrate...with presents....songs...cake...frappuccinos and all. And for the record ...oh how I wish the Christian radio stations would play more "Silent Night" and less "Up on the Roof Top" Sheesh, people...
0 friends commented!:
Post a Comment