Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

Heavy Heart

Sadly as of today, I am no longer a toddler teacher. It has been extremely difficult to work at the preschool I have been at due to lack of curriculum, structure, and poor leadership and decision-making. A series of events transpired last week that essentially forced me to ask for my replacement. I fully expected to finish out the month and have a chance to explain myself to the parents in my class as well as to say goodbye to the children, but shamelessly my director called and told me not to bother coming into work tomorrow. I asked to finish out the week and she said no. So there you have it. 6 months of devoting myself to the children, having had no complaints from parents, always coming to work early and being fully prepared in all that I did and this is what I get. My aide is in shock and said she will be lost without me. The part that grieves me are the rumors that will inevitably fly about my departure and the fact that my children do not have a chance to say goodbye to their teachers and classmates. It especially frustrates me when people claim the name of Jesus and choose to behave in such a harmful way to those around them. I took for granted that I was applying for a "Christian" preschool, when in reality there was not much Christ there.

The good news is I have an interview this Wed. for a substitute position and a permanent position in the fall at a new school. The application required I write my testimony, church history and involvement, and how I would share the gospel with a child. This is a far cry from my experience in getting hired at the current school.

So I take my heavy heart tonight to the feet of my Savior, knowing that only He can restore peace within my soul and comfort me in my grief. No matter how I am treated in this world, He endured far worse and He knows and understands all of my discomfort. Regardless of what man may do or say in regards to my reputation, Jesus stands at the throne of God as my Defender. I stand faultless and blameless because of the price He paid. And my treasures are not of this earth. If God is for me, who can be against me?

"When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted." -Eleanor Roosevelt

"Never 'for the sake of peace and quiet' deny your own experience or convictions." -Dag Hammarskjold

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” -Martin Luther King Jr.

4 friends commented!:

paigescrib. said...

I'm sorry about that but WHAT KIND OF MORON would let you go?
for real, WOW!

miss you as always.

-paige

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear that. I teach 3rd grade, and what gets to me is that the part of my job that I dread has nothing to do with the kids or teaching...it is the politics! I teach at a public school, so it is a bit different as far as what my expectations should have been going in, but many of the staff at this school profess to be Christians, which is why I chose to teach there, and I have been sadly disappointed by the lack of "living out the faith" that I see.

It also makes me very grateful that I have people in my life...friends and mentors outside of my workplace...that challenge me to a higher standard in my Christian walk. Some people do not have that, and they just don't know what they are missing by choosing to love and serve with the heart of Jesus!!

Becky said...

Hi Laurie,
This really saddens me to read!
As a former Weekday Preschool teacher and now the Assistant Director of the program, this sounds just horrible. I'm sorry your heart, and likely your reputation, have been hurt in this way! And, the hearts of those who love you...the kids and their families. I'm sure that you have been a blessing to all of them!
This is a very poor example of how to run a Christ-centered ministry! Unfortunately, we humans often get in the way of how Christ would have us to do things!
Best wishes with the new job endevour. We ask the same things of our applicants.....tell salvation exp., how you share with children, best early childhood practices, etc.
Blessings to you!

Laurie said...

thanks for the encouragement, ladies! My interview went well- I think. :) So we will see.

Atleast now I know what not to do in relation to job acceptances. Good of the Lord to help me get out of a bad situation and I have full faith He will see me through to a good one.