Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Watch This





Next Saturday we have the privilege once again of going to our adoption agency and speaking about open adoption and transracial adoption. I wish I could show this video to the couples at the training. It makes my stomach hurt. I tell them about it every time we go, but watching it is more impactful.

Our agency currently has several African American birthmothers and only one couple's profile to present. This is an adoption topic that is very dear to my heart as the question always comes back to "why?". I forwarded their latest email asking for prayer for this need, and have already had several responses. I pray that atleast one of those will pan out as a family for these babies who will be born in the coming months.

I have several illustrations I hope to present this Sat. and I pray as I always do that the Lord will use our words and experiences to open the hearts of these potential adoptive parents to the beautiful, colorful world around them. I believe we as Caucasian adoptive parents can help change the tide in how our African American children see skin color, as they are prone to be more aware early on of differences and similarities. This is why I am so adament about making sure the toys and dolls, along with the schools and parks my children grow up with represent lots of different ethnicities. Not just black and white.

4 friends commented!:

Deb said...

What a blessing you will be to those couples. I'm not sure I'll ever forget our case worker telling us (on accident I'm sure) that many of the waiting couples were not going to be happy that we got placed so quickly but we were open to race and they aren't. I look at the site with the waiting couples often and still see some waiting more then a year now. Makes me sad.

Working at Kids Klub now I'm very impressed with their selection of books and dolls that they have available for the children to play with.
I was just thinking this morning about what to get for Isabel for her birthday and need to go check out Dolls Like Me for an idea.

Any way you can share what you share at the event. I'd love to know how you present open adoption and transracial adoption.

Anonymous said...

Debbie-
We had a similar situation when we were placed with Vivi because of our openness. We brought Vivi home exactly 3 months after our initial orientation with the agency and yes it is wild to see couples on the web who were being profiled 18 months ago or more!

I'll email you some great board books we bought for the kids when they were toddlers.

PandaMom said...

Hi, this is Jana. I go by Miss Scarlett (used to be PandaMom) in the Blogosphere. LOL! Your children are gorgeous!!! I emailed who you asked me to and will wait for what to do next.

Please don't judge me by my last post about the music choice. It was really just a joke with my hubby and me!! ; )

You don't even have to post this comment. I just wanted to let you know that I blog, too!

Thanks for your help with our family.

natasha the exile on Mom Street said...

A very powerful video. My husband and I are currently fundraising for our second adoption and are contemplating Ethiopia.

My son was adopted domestically and he is multi-racial (Native American, Hispanic, Caucasian).

I can't help wondering which doll he would choose.

Please be on the lookout for an email from me.