Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Adopting An Older Child


When we made the decision to welcome K home as our son, it was not something we jumped into lightly. God had been preparing our hearts for two years for this particular child as we built a relationship of trust with he and his brother, and fell in love with them both as our family members.

If you had asked me, I would have said we would never adopt out of birth order and that we would never adopt a teenager...certainly not while all of our kids are young. We have all heard too many stories of kids who are so wounded that they just cannot function in a family. And we did not want to risk shaking up the stability our children had because we had some kind of bleeding heart for kids who age out of the foster care system...although it is true that we do. 

We have found with our own journey through fostering, that no...love is not enough to heal all wounds. 

And that we can never be good enough parents to take on this kind of challenge. There are not enough classes that can be taken or books that can be read to prepare you for the day when you go head to head with your teenager and both of your sin natures flare up.

Surely God would never call us to this kind of challenge.

But He did.

And through the very real prescence of the Holy Spirit in our lives and as Jesus is Lord of our marriage and home, we have been able to navigate these scary waters and continue to come out the other end farely unscathed. What used to rattle me with K's behaviors, now sends me into action mode. Sometimes action with a teen means choose your battles...do not confront where a confrontation is not needed, and give them space to be mad.

Sometimes it means looking them in the eye and saying, "do as I tell you to do," knowing that they will do it with a big 'ol attitude and that it is not the end of the world.

Sometimes it means they get left out of fun family time because they have chosen to be miserable.

Our biggest parenting strategy with K has been to build up all of the family bonding moments he missed. This means meals together every night at the kitchen table. Movie nights at home and fun events out. Board games with Mom and Dad after all the little kids are in bed. Pancakes on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoon football on TV. 

Yes, football. 
In this family. 
Can you believe it?

Lots and lots of laughter and playing and bonding.

Because he has missed so much.

The other night we ate pizza in the living room put Peter Pan in. 
The newest live action version.
K asked questions like, "What is a lost boy? Where is Neverland? " and laughed at all the predictable parts. 
I mumbled to Billy, "lost childhood.
He nodded.
K overheard and said, "I didn't grow up watching these kinds of movies, guys."

We know son.

One day he asked if he could go to a schoolmate's house a couple streets over. I said yes, but that I would need to walk him there to see the house and meet the parents. I am glad I did, cause there was some shady stuff I saw that I later addressed with him... he was quite annoyed that I had to go do that. 
Tough, I said to myself.
A week later he wanted to go to a different friend's house in the neighborhood. I told him he would need to text dad the address of the house. I could tell he was annoyed that we are so up in his business. Later he brought it up and said he understood why I wanted the address, "but I didn't grow up with anyone caring where I went or when I would be back."

We know son.

I have joined the basketball booster club at his school.
He was surprised to see that I will be volunteering at the concession stands, that some of his teammates already know me and hug me when they see me...and that yes...one of us will always be at his away games.

"All of them?" he asked. "No one came to my games before."

We know son.

He often looses things and misplaces stuff and is all around irresponsible with his possessions. One day he told us, "I'm just not used to having so many things to keep up with."

K always has all kinds of ailments that require me to nurture and baby him. I have never been around a bigger whiner...well except myself, of course. But I know what it is like to not have my needs for affection and attention met growing up...so I indulge him. 

Sometimes.
And sometimes I feel like he will literally suck the life out of me.

But when I hear his laughter and see him relaxed and taking over the entire living room with all of his things and helping his brother with his homework and dressing his baby sister before church...I know this is the place he has always belonged. 

He was missing and we didn't even know it. 

He told me that foster care felt like a holding place from his first home to here. And that he felt lost. I smiled to know that he is now found. I was also happy to hear that he put us in the same category as his birthfamily.

We are all his, regardless of when we came into his life.

He has decided to take our last name at adoption finalization, which will hopefully happen within a week of him turning 16.

He has decided to take Billy's father's name as his middle name.
He was very excited about that.
He has claimed us.
He is ours and we are his.
And I swell with pride at the honor it is to his grandfather for him to take the family name passed down from generations at the age of 16 years old.

He is our last child. But he is our first born son.
It seems fitting.

It is a beautiful picture of how at conversion, we took our Father's name in the family of God.
Beloved sons and daughters. 
Chosen, wanted, sacrificed for, saved from a lost world.

Our Father prepares a place for us even now, 
as we have for our children.
To bring them home.

Nothing about adopting an older child is easy.
But I have to say I believe it is the greatest thing I have done in my life. I am proud to be each one of my children's mother...but this endeavor, this step out on a big leap of faith, with all of its challenges and changes... continues to bring me some of my greatest life joy.




17 friends commented!:

rebekahgrace05 said...

Very well written and sweet! So happy you have him and he has you! I like how open and honest you are about the struggles, and yet, you're accepting them and working with them! Totally enjoy reading your blog! :)

rebekahgrace05 said...

Very well written and sweet! I really enjoy reading your family's story and seeing how adoption works for you! I like how honest you were about your struggles and how you're working with them! Hope you see continued growth! :)

Joy said...

Beautiful!

Nicole said...

Love this!! And love that he took his father's middle name. So sweet!!

BumbersBumblings said...

Wahhhh I definitely could not make it through this post without tears gushing out of my eyes. What an amazing testament of Christ's redemption of us. Thank you for sharing your heart and your struggles. My heart is greatly impacted by your lives!

Peter and Nancy said...

The very idea of the risks taken by all of you have me in tears. You are each, in your own way, risking hugely in the name of love . . . and your parenting journey is such a reflection of the Father's love. And K's choice to risk loving and being loved back is so courageous. I hope you have many more moments of "turning back the clock" and experiencing K's missed childhood.

Cheering you on!
Nancy

Deb said...

Too many emotions to leave an intelligent comment. :-)
With every "we know son" my eyes got more cloudy with tears.

Love that he choose a family name to be his middle name.

Another One said...

Such a touching story. God has begin to move on my heart about adopting an older child... giving them a chance at life before they sign themselves out of the system. As an adopted child myself (even though I was adopted at birth) I know that without my precious family I would have had no chance. Thank you for your words and the truth of the struggle. Prayers for you guys and the bonding that you are providing for K.

Anonymous said...

This entry brought tears to my eyes!

Becky said...

You've had me crying (at work nonetheless) as well. This is such a beautiful and honest post. Thank you so much for sharing it, and your family's journey to each other.

Unknown said...

Beautiful!!

Laurie said...

I am so very grateful for all of your comments. Your words have touched me as a huge gift today! It feels like an incredible blessing to have this blog, and to have you all following our life story here. I take great pride in being able to represent adoption, and I hope that I bring God all the honor and praise, in the process.

Thank you, friends!

Unknown said...

Laurie, this one is by far my favorite post. So raw, honest, and beautiful, just like life :)

CarrieT said...

Very touching and well written. All people considering older child adoption should read this! I can hardly wait to really see his face and read that the adoption is finalized!!

Carrie T. - mom to 4 from S. Korea

anything but LoKEY said...

This is beautiful! We just adopted an older child and out of birth order. (We said yes to God before we found out that it was a typically considered a bad idea.) It is so wonderful to me how sometimes it is so right. And like you mentioned, it is such a beautiful picture of our redemption. Our son took my husbands middle name and I hope it means as much to him one day. Love this post!

ponderings said...

I love your blog! I love adoption and currently work as a middle school teacher and believe that teenagers are the most difficult and most wonderful creatures on the planet.

Amy Lynn said...

Thank you so much for this thoughtful post. We too are taking a huge leap of faith as be begin the adoption process for a 14 year old boy from Ghana. He too will be the oldest in our family and has a special bond with our daughter who came home from Ghana 3 months ago. Since we began the process we have mostly heard all the negatives and the reasons why we shouldn't adopt this older child. And while I have those same concerns rolling around in my head it is nice to hear about some positives. It is nice to hear about tender moments in between the hard ones. This is what I needed to hear this week. Thank you. I especially loved your line about how he was missing and you didn't even know it. Thanks again for your thoughtful, heartfelt post.